add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
AlexCason

37 months ago

I am about to build a pc and was wondering which processor would be better for gaming. Longevity is important to me, would like the processor to last 2 years before upgrading. Opinions wanted. Thanks!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

The main perk of the i7-6700K over the i5-6600K is the hyper-threading, giving you 8 usable cores in a quad-core. Since games don't really take advantage of eight cores/threads (and I don't see this becoming a thing for many years), the 6600K is the king of gaming-only CPUs.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you compare benchmarks, the fps in almost all games is 1-2% difference between the I5-6600k and I7-6700k. The CPU is just not the limiting factor in today's games and the I5-6600k will last you well over 2 years with no worries at all.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx guys. Will this build games ultra settings 1080p@60fps? Also is thermal compound necessary?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FPGvZ8

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Link fixed. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FPGvZ8

Yes that will do 1080p at ultra and muxh higher than 60 FPS. Consider the EvGA G2 Supernova 650w. Great deal on at the moment and very highly rated with a 10 year warranty.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube