add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moderate Gaming PC build

munchbutt

37 months ago

As a newbie trying to build his first gaming PC, I'd like some opinions/suggestions to the build I currently have. Budget: 1.5kish USD (with a monitor) Case: Something that can fit an optical drive, preferably white. Thank you in advance for your pointers!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $236.98 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $113.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $91.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.33 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $433.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case $115.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.89 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.79 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $35.00
Speakers Cyber Acoustics CA-3090 10W 2.1ch Speakers $26.97 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1644.43
Mail-in rebates -$90.00
Total $1554.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-05 05:32 EDT-0400

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

PriceHunterGeneral reporting in. :)

Awakening pretty much has you covered. I'd swap out the LEPA fans. They're really good though.

Assuming you want blue LEDs (Deepcool Dukase includes one rear 120mm with blue LEDs):

Get 3 of these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tPZQzy/xigmatek-case-fan-cfssxgjsbu2

2 up front, 1 on top rear.

If you want the insides to glow, Phobya makes great 30cm LED strips for around $12 each (get 2, 'high-density' model from Amazon).

Note: Awakening's motherboard has orange components, so the color scheme might clash.

Also, avoid SuperBiiz and OutletPC because their shipping cost isn't included here, they don't transfer manufacturer warranties, and they have terrible return policies.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I thank you for your input as well! Aesthetic wise, would it be better to use the black version of the Dukase and change to the LEDs as you mentioned? Although the GPU and Mobo's color scheme won't match, it won't make much of a difference right? Also, is there any reason to choose the 27" monitor over the 24" one? I plan to purchase a second monitor in the future so I'm not sure whether to take the 27" over the 24." (If it helps, I'm using a 15.6" at the moment) Thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the difference would be noticeable. Aside from that, red or blue is good with a black or white case. Personally, I like a white case with blue, green, pink, or purple. For black cases, with white, orange, green, purple/pink, and blue. I'm bored with red. :P

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, it is red! My memory was off cuz I've had ASRock's with the orange.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  • CM Hyper 212 is obsolete. The Cryorig m9i performs a little better, looks better IMO, smaller, and $5 cheaper. Or for $35 you can get the CRYORIG H7 which delivers moderate overclocking. Or for $50 you can get the Scythe fuma which delivers high end overclocking.

• That ram is very overpriced. You can get faster ram (3000 frequency) for $10 less.

• A GTX 1070 is overkill for 1080p 60fps. A GTX 1060 should do the job.

• Although the psu is good, you can get more reliable, better quality, modular power supplies at that price range or even cheaper such as an EVGA G2 or a Corsair RMX or a seasonic.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Duly noted, thank you!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your input, your changes look extremely solid. I have a question regarding the case; what is the difference between a ATX mid vs ATX full other than the ATX full having more room to fit components. Also, would it be better to buy a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 for $370 or a EVGA 1070 SC for $360 over the Asus 1070 Dual you recommended? Are there any changes performance wise? The reason I'm concerned is that both the EVGA and Asus cards do not come with a backplate. Thanks again!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely will! So I was looking at the 16GB Ram since I figured, if there were red color ones, there should be white ones as well and I stumbled upon a variety of choices by Corsair. I noticed that there are DDR4-3,000/3,200 sticks available for only a $2 increase in price compared to the current DDR4-2666, is it worth it to purchase a 3,000/3,200 instead of the 2,666. If so, which one do you recommend?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube