add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Recommendations?

AuraNightheart

39 months ago

I currently have an i7-3770K and am looking to buy a CPU cooler. It has the stock Intel one currently (although I'm not quite sure why my dad put a stock cooler on an overclockable CPU)... Anyway, it turns out in CPU-intense games I wasn't getting as much performance as I should have been getting. I got HWMonitor aaaand...as it turns out, I'm thermal throttling at 60% usage on one core hovering between 100-110 degrees C.

I need a CPU cooler (and probably a new case).

Recommendations that will work with my motherboard? I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4.

(I'm kind of surprised my PC hasn't caught on fire yet).

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

The stock Intel CPU cooler is bad but 110c means it wasn't correctly seated. Thanks to the plastic push pins, it's tough to tell if it's correctly installed. Poor Dad

the Scythe Fuma SCFM-1000 is nearly impossible to beat unless you want to spend the big bucks on a dual-radiator Corsair H100i, H105, H110i, or H115i

The 300v2 is only capable of an AIO cooler like the H80i. The Fuma comes within 3c of the H80i and 4c-5c of the H110i

I can't really recommend a new case other than saying one with good airflow would help your OC temps. Other people on here spend more time studying which PC cases are better than others.

All Socket 1155, 1156, 1150, and 1151 boards have the same cooler mounting pattern.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, so I need to pick up a Scythe FUMA and then reseat the CPU and make sure it's done correctly this time? This is my dad's old prebuilt (he just picked it up at Microcenter, so whoever assembled it probably didn't put the CPU in right then).

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Not quite.

if the computer is booting up, the CPU is correctly installed.

The stock intel cooler was probably not installed correctly. It's easy to do because of the plastic push pins.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, alright. Okay. I'll get the Scythe FUMA. Thank you!

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

and i just checked the FUMA should fit your case.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll be updating in a month or two anyway and just want to make sure this CPU won't die in the future because it will probably go to my younger brothers (who are 9). Will a Hyper 212 EVO do the job? Then I can just pick one up at Microcenter tomorrow.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The Fuma is such a good price that it's hard not to recommend. Depends on what you want to pay.

If you cross reference the reviews, you'll find the 212evo is okay but valuewise it can't compare to the Fuma.

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-fuma-heatsink-review/ https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EKWB/Predator_280_QDC/6.html http://www.hardwareslave.com/reviews/hardware/cooling/scythe-fuma-cpu-cooler-review/8/

For whatever reason there is no Microcenter in my area so I have no idea what they have in stock. I have a Fry's but they mostly stock the AIO coolers.

I think 4.5ghz to 4.6ghz is a good number to shoot for and the Hyper 212+ would have trouble keeping the 3770k cool at those temps.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now it's at stock 3.5ghz (and still way overheating). There's a Hyper 212X in stock. Is that any good? There's also a Hyper D92 and a Thermaltake Frio, plus some other cheaper not as good stuff and more expensive stuff that's $60+

Which of those would you recommend? I would like to get a Scythe FUMA, but with temperatures like these I'm not sure I want to wait for shipping.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Most cpu coolers will work with your motherboard and cpu, what matters is your case. What are the height limitations of an air cpu cooler, does your case support radiators for liquid coolers?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it does. However, I am not opposed to getting a new case either. Right now I have an Antec Three Hundred Two.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an air cooler, like the one mentioned by Kakarotto, it will keep your i7 nice and cool.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

110 C is way too hot even with the Intel stock cooler. Have you removed your CPU cooler, replaced your thermal paste, and reseated your CPU cooler?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. It's perfectly fine now, running at 70 maximum.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you change anything?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. I replaced the thermal paste, cleaned out the stock cooler of dust, and reseated it. After running Prime95 for about an hour my max temp was between 65-75.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube