add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wiping hard drive but keeping OS

ggarz
  • 43 months ago

So I bought an old computer with a 1tb hard drive and Windows 10 on it. My plan was to just wipe everything but the OS. I know it can be done but the computer was upgraded from Windows 7. Any way I can do this while keeping Windows 10? (Sorry if it's simple, IDK much about computers)

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

... everything but the OS...

Reset this PC option.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

From Microsoft's Web page: If you're having problems with your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. Refreshing your PC reinstalls Windows and keeps your personal files and settings. It also keeps the apps that came with your PC and the apps you installed from the Windows Store. Resetting your PC reinstalls Windows but deletes your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC. Restoring your PC is a way to undo recent system changes you've made.

Here's the link: How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

yes

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

So if you wipe the hard drive it is going to remove Windows from the drive. However, if you have the Windows Key used to activate 7/10, you should be able to reinstall Windows 10 and activate it with that key.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah go into setting then update and security then backup and restore then reset this pc :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube