add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Second big build, input appreciated

Kreamsicle

37 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/X3JyVY

So here's the build so far. It's going to be used for gaming, upgrading down the road and work from home.

The goal here is to try and trim it to under 3k while not sacrificing too much.

-will SLI the 1080 down the road -M.2 should be supported by this motherboard, using 512G M.2 for Win10 OS (using 950 pro, believe there should be no issues booting OS from this M.2?) -dual monitor mandatory - "Semi" black and white theme

Thank you for all the help in advance, any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Id say pick up an 850 watt PSU. You are going to SLI at some point and provided you dont overclock anything you would be at the limit of your power supply. Once you start overclocking things its going to get ugly. The big brother to your PSU

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You can change the cooler to an air cooler like the CRYORIG H7 which will watch with the Black/White theme or the Scythe FUMA which is a beast of a cooler. Another Option would be the Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK and the CRYORIG Universal. You can drop the optical drive if you are only using it to install the OS, get a thumb drive instead. For gaming 16GB is MORE than enough, hell even 8GB is plenty unless you plan to do some content creation as well. Going with the single 1TB SSD should still be more than enough even with games, only reason for the M.2 is for fast file transfers. You can HDD later on anyways which is cheaper. The difference in gaming between the i5 and i7 is negligible unless you plan on things like video editing and other contents. I recommend changing the PSU to it's 850W variant.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I got you down just under $3k without losing the White/Black theme. The CPU, cooler, motherboard, memory, storage drives and power supply were changed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler $74.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $124.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $189.99 @ Newegg
Storage Plextor M8Pe 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $234.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $247.40 @ B&H
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card $669.46 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case $115.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $105.49 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $219.99 @ Best Buy
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $219.99 @ Best Buy
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard $140.00 @ B&H
Mouse Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse $59.99 @ Best Buy
Headphones Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset $95.99 @ Best Buy
Other WALI Dual LCD Monitor Mount Free Standing Fully Adjustable Desk Fits Two Screens up to 27", Full Motion, Tilt, Swivel, Rotate, 22 lbs Capacity, With Optional Grommet Base (WL-MF002) $63.71 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2996.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-07 16:27 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, yeah, the PSU was iffy for me. I also thought about a 1tb SSD and just leaving it at that but what I read about the m.2 Memory (ESP the 950 pro series) kinda left me thinking it'd be a better option for my OS and some games/applications etc. Then again the form factor of the M.2 isn't too much of a "factor" in this build. also with 16bg memory, the theme is kind of "a little extra" just so I don't have to upgrade for quite too long

jgb530, tyvm for that build as well, the only problem I can see is the motherboard and the M.2. I'd have to update the BIOS before booting which I'd rather not do (unless I'm wrong about the mobo)

Awesome, this is all really good info ty so much.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube