add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Final approval, suggestions please!

tjtepigstar

37 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/tjtepigstar/saved/#view=DWPnQ7

My budget is $800. My dad is buying the CPU (i5-6600k) the CPU cooler (the 212 fan thing) and the RAM (either 16 or 32 GB of DDR4)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Do not buy 5400 RPM HDDs. Go for 7200 RPM as they are faster. It is especially important, as you do not have SSD in your PC.
  2. Are you sure you need a WiFi? Cable connection is more reliable and has lower ping (and package loss).
  3. What RAM would our dad buy? I consider buying low-speed memory for an overclocking build a sacrilege. :) 2 x 8 GB DDR 3200 RAM would be the best choice (for the lowest price possible).
  4. You are going to overclock this PC (eventually), aren't you?
  5. What display will you have? What graphics level and FPS do you want to play at?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $235.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $97.98 @ Newegg
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card $409.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N250PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $16.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1152.29
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-09 05:17 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I have an amazing router but it's on the other side of a wall. The way my house is set up, it's adjacent to my room but I'd have to snake it all the way around the halls to get to my room. I have a 1080p monitor at 60hz, but I'm saving for a 144hz 1440p monitor. I'd like to shoot for ultra. When I get the 1440p monitor I will do a dual monitor setup. I don't know what kind of ram my dad is buying. Yeah, I'm gonna overclock the hell out of this PC. I'd like to stream triple A titles.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The way my house is set up, it's adjacent to my room but I'd have to snake it all the way around the halls to get to my room.

All you need is a good driller. I'm not kidding. Just put a hole in the wall (preferably in a corner, where it is not yelling at you when you enter the room. Of course, ask your dad first (as I assume it is his house after all).

I have a 1080p monitor at 60hz,

The GTX 1070 will handle it piece of cake

I'm saving for a 144hz 1440p monitor.

The GTX 1070 may not produce you 144 FPS in all the games. Look at this article and find how different games do on 1440p. They don't really produce that 144 FPS on ultra settings. :(

I don't know what kind of ram my dad is buying

He's your dad, talk with him. ;)

Yeah, I'm gonna overclock the hell out of this PC.

Good. XD

I'd like to stream triple A titles.

Um, for that you may need an i7 as streaming puts extra stress on your CPU... I don't stream myself, hell I've got an 8 years old CPU that keeps me busy with games. I'd done some research on the desired games, what setup the streamers of that game have (i5 or i7).

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I was a bit misleading with where my router is, but drilling a hole isn't an option. I know it will. I play a lot of CSGO plus a high refresh rate would be nice. The i5-6600k is capable of streaming if you OC the **** out of it. Perhaps not streaming AAA titles, but definitely recording with shadow play.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the ram is 2133.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Convince your dad to get you 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz. The cheapest one. You don't buy RAM every day, why not buy a good one when you do? It's not that much more expensive if you buy the cheapest DDR4 2 x 8 @ 3200 Mhz .

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I play a lot of CSGO plus a high refresh rate would be nice

Yeah, that's not too demanding. If you want to stream CS:GO, you will be absolutely fine.

Shadow Play is good. I used it a couple of times, though I did it to record a bug in a game to send it to the developers, thus I did not record long gaming sessions.

Enjoy your build. ;)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube