add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU power cord

gotenxds
  • 41 months ago

Hi, Just got a new psu and the power cord has a green yellow (I assume a ground earth) wire attached to it on the pc side.

Why is that ? I've never seen a power cord with one, also I cant use that power cord as its wall connector is a US type and we dont use that here. I plan on using my old power connector that does not have the ground wire attached, does that matter ?

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Take a picture of it and post it on imgur. Then give the link.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, you have to get a new cable since you aren't US, so that will solve the extra wire problem.

Which power supply are you using?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, I already have my old power cable which I'm using for my current PC, but it does not have that greenYellow wire attached to it, so my question is what is that and do I need to buy a new cable with it.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

That extra wire is something that was used on old (pre-90s) US power outlets that didn't always have a third ground (bar) connection. Instead, the physical receptacle had a screw connected to ground that some appliances had to connect to. That's what the wire did.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, that explains me never seeing it, we never had that problem, I guess I can use my old cable then.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

How did you know that XD

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube