add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming PC build configuration

pgmoir

37 months ago

Just looking for opinions on this buildset, http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nw33HN

My son and I are trying to build a quality (ie fast, robust, reliable and something that will last 2-3 years at least) gaming PC.

We've already got the three monitor set up (and Windows10) - so overall cost about £1240

We don't have experience of building or buying, so choices have been made based on 4-5 star ratings with most volume and keeping budget relatively low, but taking advice from articles about what is best and what is minimum.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this your current build or one you're upgrading? By the way you're wording it I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure you're building new.

If so, it's a good build, but there's a pretty major flaw... almost every part is a generation old (or more)

You should build a rig that is Skylake (or somewhat soon Kabylake) and LGA 1151, H/Z 170. It has a lot of fairly important upgrades to new technology, such as: M.2 support, USB 3.1 and type C, and more. It would also be a lot easier to upgrade your CPU since the socket is likely to last at least 2 or so years.

Overclocking in gaming doesn't yield all that much of a performance gain, you could save some money by just getting a non K version, the most recommended is the i5 6500. Although, OCing will allow the CPU to last longer (performance wise) and you won't have to upgrade quite as soon

The 212 EVO is an okay cooler choice, it was probably the best a year ago, but CRYORIG has taken the market by storm and the H7 for $35 is by far one of the best choices right now

Your SSD is outdated. You can also consider getting M.2, but the price/gig is pretty bad, and SSDs are still really fast and all that most people need

The 970 will probably struggle with 3 1080p 144hz monitors, I would recommend at least a 1070

The S340 elite by NZXT could be a neat option, it's got tempered glass is a pretty swell choice

750 watt power supplies were often needed if you want a multi-card setup, but now GPUs are so power efficient a 650 watt could power 2 cards no problem

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking in gaming doesn't yield all that much of a performance gain

It definitely can.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh? When I OCed I got maybe 5 FPS extra (I think)

Has things changed, because when I first built my rig most people were saying to not OC if you're gaming

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

Things haven't changed really, its more or less always been like this unless you are running older games or are GPU bound and not compute bound.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow that's pretty neat

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Really appreciate this feedback - I think I now understand why the parts we selected have so many votes (because they've been around a while). We're in the planning what to buy to build our first gaming PC, and looks like I need to really take in all the feedback, and reassess parts selected. Thank you very much.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

WAY too much for that PSU, you could get a Evga G2 or a Corsair RMx for a lot cheaper and would be miles better. The CPU is two gens old going on 3.That GPU is a gen old and costs too much.WAY WAY too much for that SSD, it has been replaced by newer modles and is generally terrible value.The 750D has meh airflow and I'm doubting you need a full tower case.You also don't need a i7 and could save some money there. Also if your goal is to run games at 144FPS with 3 1080P monitors at max settings you are going to need a LOT more GPU power, like two GTX 1080's or two Titan XP's since 3 1080P monitor is 3/4 as demanding as 4K is and 4K 144FPS at max settings is just about impossible to do outside of two Titan XP's. Also just because parts are popular doesn't mean they are good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £218.28 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler £53.23 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £130.91 @ Eclipse Computers
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £76.99 @ Novatech
Storage Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £149.00 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £81.98 @ Novatech
Video Card Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Video Card £383.75 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case £74.99 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £79.99 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1249.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 19:39 GMT+0000

It has a much much much better CPU cooler, a CPU that is on a current gen, a lot more SSD storage, a better case for your needs, a much better GPU, and a much better PSU.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sincere thanks for the feedback. Appreciate all the suggestions and going to try and take in all the guidance. Thank you.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Will you just be gaming and doing simple tasks such as emails and internet browsing. Any video/photo editing? Also, finally, what games, and do you care about settings/resolution?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Primarily just a gaming PC. Have mac for doing all the day to day boring stuff, and some fun stuff like video editing.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Another option to consider for a black/white themed build (with current gen parts)

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £218.28 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £68.39 @ Novatech
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £126.84 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £82.99 @ Novatech
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £108.70 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £60.98 @ Novatech
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card £394.98 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case £61.12 @ More Computers
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £86.99 @ Novatech
Total £1209.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 19:41 GMT+0000
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Many thanks for the feedback. Really appreciated. Taking my time to understand all the suggestions and guidance given. Thank you

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Your main hardware selections, cpu/gpu (and ssd) are all old gen, to get good high fps gaming performance across all three monitors you need a considerably more powerful gpu, which is gonna bump the price up... gtx 1080 would be my recommendation, but if you can't go over budget a gtx 1070 is prolly your best bet otherwise, this review shows fps performance for both cards (and the old gen 970)

You might even need to go for the forthcoming gtx1080ti which should have performance around the titan x (pascal) level to get close to the 144hz the monitors can handle, but again that's gonna be even more than the plain gtx 1080... (no price yet iirc, but the x80ti model is generally a couple hundred less than the titan equivilent)

I think the rest of the changes are self explanatory but I'll try and answer any questions you have :D

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £316.98 @ Novatech
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler £53.23 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £139.95 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £82.99 @ Novatech
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £61.00 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £81.98 @ Novatech
Video Card Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Twin X2 Video Card £584.74 @ More Computers
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case £136.99 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £86.99 @ Novatech
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For £0.00
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor Purchased For £0.00
Total £1544.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 19:48 GMT+0000
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks xPat. Again, really appreciate this feedback, especially the guidance around the 3 monitor set up and making the most of it. Just assessing all the advice now. Many thanks!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome :D

Sorry I just kinda repeated what other folks said, the site seemed a little slow/laggy earlier for some reason & there was no other comments showing when I clicked on your thread initially.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

We've had a good hard look at your suggestions - and have to admit we're going with all of them (except upgrading SSD drive, changing case to airflow edition and adding a BR/DVD/CD writer) - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/X9XGxY - really appreciate advice on monitors and refresh rate. Thanks!!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

NP man.

For a single (or even dual) gpu build I tend to think a full tower case is a little oversized, most mid towers will hold the same components and provide the same/similar expansion and airflow options while being a little smaller which may be more convenient depending on where it will be, but that depends on your guys personal aesthetic too ofc.

But that should give you a better triple monitor gaming experience and be easier to upgrade in the future as the 1151 mobo will have new compatible cpus launching through to 2018.

Good luck with it :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube