add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first build around 1500€

SIlvester150

37 months ago

Hi, would love some opinions and suggestions on my first build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £327.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £29.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £199.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £84.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £149.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card £419.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case £114.54 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £79.99 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor £222.92 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1630.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 23:37 GMT+0000

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I think the build looks nice. Depending on what you want to do you could probably save money in some places. If you are primarily going to be gaming then you could drop to an i5 6600k and still take advantage of overclocking or an i5 6500 if you don't want to overclock. You could also save money by using a smaller ssd for os storage and some apps, and use a hard drive for mass storage.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't think I'll be overclocking. The i5 6500 does actually seem like a better buy. Does it have much of a performance difference compared to the i7 6700k? I'm going with the 500gb ssd right now because the price doesnt differ much at all from the smaller sized ones where I'm buying from. Also, I use up space really slow, so I'll just buy the hdd when my ssd ends up getting full. This is probably a really newbie question, but does the ssd perform worse the more used up it gets?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You would see a performance difference between the i5 and the i7, but most games are more demanding on the GPU than the CPU. So I think you'd be better saving money by using i5 6600k or 6500 and dropping down to one stick of 8gb ram, and using that money to upgrade to GTX 1080 and upgrading to 16 gb later when more games start recommending 12gb. The ssd won't perform worse the more filled up it gets, but it does have a limited amount of writes that it can make to the memory cells, and as those wear out over time there can be performance loss. Though I have never experienced performance loss in my ssd. There supposed to be able to write like hundreds of TBs worth of data before going out so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube