add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need Opinions for Part Lists

ResGamersYT

37 months ago

Hey! It is my birthday soon and my parents are letting me build a PC, which is fantastic because I am super into this stuff. They game me an unclear budget of what im assuming is around $1,400 - $1,600. I made 3 part lists for what I think would be good, but I would like some insight on whether I should switch this with that or change that to this; stuff like that. I personally feel like #2 is the best and I want to go with it, but it would be awesome if somebody can inform me on whether or not it would be good. In layman's terms, just give 'em a look and tell me what you think.

Best regards,
              Res.

Part list #1: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MXJqhq

Part list #2: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mvmRzM

Part list #3: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/39XdxY

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the second one is nice go with that. I would use the H7 instead of the Evo but it looks like the Evo is on sale. They are both really nice coolers though.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I switched the EVO with the H7; I realized that the H7 is smaller. Also, can I just download the Windows 10 media tool and install windows on my SSD instead of buying a Windows 10 OS?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, see Exultant's post.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

None of your setups have ODDs, so you'll need a tech-savvy friend (or a few minutes on youtube) to create a boot-level USB containing your OS, which will also cost money. Microsoft sells preloaded USB drives with Windows 10, but they're ~$170-$190 depending on where you buy them. If that sounds too expensive, spend $30 to buy a standard ASUS ODD and ~$50-80 (again depending on where you buy it--go for school discounts!) for Windows 10.

None of your setups include peripherals like mice or keyboards. Things to consider are also mouse pads, desk pads, and a desk. These things can easily add $150-$200 more to your budget. I see you are aiming for a two-monitor setup. Do you have enough space for them?

An OS and those peripherals are going to add a few hundred dollars to your final cost, so make sure you account for this. You could save some money by reducing your dimm's from 16gb to 8gb (the overwhelming majority of users don't need more than 8gb) and by dropping the K model processors for their cheaper, non-overclockable counterparts. You won't even notice, I promise. If you only plan to play on 24" monitors with 1080p resolutions and 60hz refresh rates, you should also consider a 1070 over a 1080. Again, you won't even notice the difference in performance.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You could consider dropping one of the monitors for now to make room for the peripherals, and then slowly save up to add two more monitors later and then the 1080 would be worth it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try switching some things. I wanted to get two 144hz monitors but they are out of my price range. Like i said to Oreo, can't I just download the Windows 10 media tool on a usb drive and boot the computer from the usb. I've done it before but never to a clean drive. I already have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard and a Corsair M65 RGB mouse, along with a decent Razer mouse pad, so luckily those things wont be a problem. I do have a pretty nice desk that can support the two monitors, but I don't know where I can put the PC to show it off. BTW I'm not totally new to this lol. I've taken an interest in this stuff for a while, I just haven't been able to do very much hands-on work due to lack of money, AKA my parents don't like to spend money on this stuff very often.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, more than one 144hz monitor would be a serious waste--you're not going to split-screen anything (new, anyway) and get fps anywhere near that rate with a single card. Spend a bit more for a bigger monitor and enjoy its superior quality.

If space is a concern, why not choose a mini-ATX motherboard? If you're only getting a single card and installing a few drives you won't need a mid tower, and though quality mini cases are more expensive, you'll have room to show off your rig. :]

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What mini ATX cases and motherboards would you recommend?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There's really only two I could ever recommend due to my personal aesthetic tastes:

The ultimate and penultimate mini-ATX cases.

They're both quite expensive. The A4-SFX ships for over $300 and the NCASE M1 ships for over $220, and the A4-SFX won't even be available publicly for some time. Your best bet is to look around and see what cases match your style.

As far as motherboards go, I have had too many personal issues with ASUS to recommend their boards--but then, everyone seems to have an issue with a particular manufacturer. If you're not overclocking (which you shouldn't, to lower your budget) a H170 board by MSI should be just fine, and it would be the same color scheme as their cards.

EDIT: you would also save a tiny bit more on dimms, as your overlocked selections wouldn't be compatible with non-Z170 motherboards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube