add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

** VR Build - Guidance Needed - First Build **

hamilton456

37 months ago

Please help. Trying to decide on best VR build (also my first build). Here is my current build attempt

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6850K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $589.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $169.99 @ SuperBiiz
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 11.1g Thermal Paste $28.00 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING CARBON EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $553.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $389.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $232.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $232.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card $1589.00
Case Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case $249.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ My Choice Software
Software Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 Software $119.25 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $4455.14
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $4425.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 16:03 EST-0500

Money - not the largest concern. Can't afford to double Titan Pascal it, but can go just above $4K if I have to do so. Goal is to have no motion sickness with the HTC Vive and to future proof my rig as much as I can while still staying around budget.

Options considering:

i7-6700K (though not a huge fan of overclocking yet) with dual GTX 1080s - I know the dual GPUs aren't supported with VR yet, but I anticipate they will in near future. Current VR technology relies (I believe) more heavily on the performance of the CPU clockrate and a single GPU. The i7-6700K seems to give me a really good combination, but is it future proof enough? Liked ElkinRusinque's build

i7-6850K with single Titan Pascal- honestly, not sure why other than it is less expensive than the i7 6950X and I'm trying to stay in budget while still future proofing. The Titan performs best on the benchmarks. Would eventually upgrade to two Titans.

i7 6950X with single Titan Pascal - This is pushing my budget tolerance to the point where I might need to add in antacids. The question is, if you are going to bother with the 6850k and a Titan Pascal in the first place, maybe you just surrender and jump to the higher level GPU. Really trying not to just throw money at this endlessly.

Now, you may have noticed I'm not mentioning motherboards. Really struggling with that one. The MSI GODLIKE Carbon looks great, but my gut tells me there may be a better, more reasonable option that I just haven't figured out yet. I am also worried about a bios update to handle the Broadwell cpu. (Don't want to brick it.) Again, main consideration is future proofing without having to sell off both my kidneys.

HTV Vive Min Requirements (Guess I adapter my way to the HDMI.)

Don't believe the min specs for VR. A 90Fps rate is the goal.

Clearly there are other things I am still missing, like more fans. (Still researching what will work best in case and keep temperatures down.) So mainly looking for help on the big choices right now (CPU, motherboard, GPU).

Thanks - still a newbie so appreciate the help.

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube