add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$800 1080p Gaming Build - First Timer

jcruz518

37 months ago

Hey guys, I'll be building my first PC build soon and I was hoping you could give me some suggestions or opinions about it. I'm going to use it mostly to play games, preferably AAA titles at Very High-Ultra Settings at 60+ FPS in 1080p. Also I want to have a small form factor case because my desk space is limited. I plan to keep my GPU for 2+ years before upgrading. Finally my decisions were limited because of where I live, not all parts are available. (My build right now converts to $800)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $191.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $84.50
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $61.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card $243.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $84.86 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $62.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $779.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 03:42 EST-0500

Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

You'll find that a 240gb SSD is going to fill up fast, and if this PC is primarily for gaming, you should consider adding another drive or getting a bigger one; your OS is going to eat up 40-50gb alone, and your average modern title is anywhere from 15-30gb. Then add in music, movies, photos... you get the idea. I'd also suggest you add at least two fans to circulate air throughout your case.

EDIT: I didn't see you said this was your first build. Tack on another $40 (minimum) for the cheapest version of Windows. If you're willing to double that, you can get a USB drive preloaded with Windows; if you're not, add ~$30 for a standard ASUS ODD.

The reason you want additional fans in your case is to pull cool air inside and push hot air outside. As you can imagine, you need at least two fans to accomplish this. I usually put two fans on the bottom of my case, and at least one near the top. They make fans for different purposes; some are good at pushing lots of air, some are good at generating lots of pressure. Make sure you spend a bit of time researching what will work best with your setup! A small amount of research can mean a huge difference in temperature!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

My bad, I forgot to mention that 1. I already have an HDD from my previous PC (Pre-Built) 2. I also have an OS (Retail) from the mentioned PC 3. Air 240 comes with 3 fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I like your build fairly well for the budget. My biggest suggestion would be to look into m.2 ssd's. They'll be a similar price but they have the same/better performance and take up less space, plus it's one less cable to manage. The only issue with that is I don't think the mobo you have picked out supports it, but I have seen some in the same price range that do.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh look at that, it does support it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you suggest an M.2 SSD?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Crucial CT275MX300SSD4 is the cheapest one currently with at least as much space as the ssd you have picked out. Its at about $70 right now. Crucial seems to be one of the bigger names as far as storage goes but I would suggest reading a bunch of reviews on several products before making a decision.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

He has alot of usb 6gb/s ports and drive bays to fill up so I don't think space is an issue with 2.5" SSDs. They are usually more expensive too and are harder to install, remove, replace etc than regular 2.5" SSDs. Plus, m.2 ssds need a compatible motherboard which cost more than a regular motherboard.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well my understanding is the data transfer rate is a bit higher on an m.2 so the extra performance outweighs the cons if he plans to be using the same drive for a couple years or more and the motherboard he already has picked out is compatible.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It is higher but only noticeable in large data transfers. In general use the difference isn't noticeable.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube