add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build - any help/comments welome please!

yakflange

37 months ago

Hi,

Just built this system, which is about the budget I have in mind (£900 or less) - I'd be grateful for any comments on how to improve it, or save a bit of money, or any other compatibility issues.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sW3kjc

Usage will be mainly general stuff at home, unlikely to be gaming, but will probably be using Adobe Creative Suite. I'm thinking the onboard graphics with the processor will be sufficient for my needs, though I'd consider adding a graphics card in the future if it proves necessary. Will probably install Windows 10 on it.

I've gone for a motherboard with Thunderbolt support - not sure if this is necessary, or if there's a better motherboard option for the same price.

The power supply is quite hefty/expensive - do I need one that good?

Any other comments/help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

First thing you need to change is the cooler that doesn't have the capacity to cool that chip. That's a 91 watts tdp cpu and cooler is rated for up to 65 watts.

Get cheaper ram and SSD. Paying that much for the evo is insane.

Obviously you don't need to spend that much on a PSU. And with 450 watts you can easily add a GTX 1060 later on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £313.08 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Freezer i32 CO CPU Cooler £31.95 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £111.39 @ CCL Computers
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £67.99 @ Novatech
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £60.60 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £43.84 @ Amazon UK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case £92.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £49.99 @ Novatech
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £17.94 @ YoYoTech
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter £23.09 @ BT Shop
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £812.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 17:46 GMT+0000
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, that's really helpful feedback (especially the fan - I wouldn't have thought of that), much appreciated - and saved quite a bit of money too!

Regarding PSU - is 450W likely to be sufficient if I do end up adding more components in the future (e.g. another hard drive, graphics card, etc.)? Are there some graphics cards or other components that would need more power than that? Is there any other benefit in having an over-powered (e.g. 550W/650W) system?

Thanks again for helping an idiot!

(Also, not sure how to insert a parts list into a message?)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

(Also, not sure how to insert a parts list into a message?)

When you are on your part's list. On top center next to mark up click on the PCPP logo, then just copy paste everything to your post.

Regarding PSU - is 450W likely to be sufficient if I do end up adding more components in the future (e.g. another hard drive, graphics card, etc.)?

Yes.. with 450 watts you can easily add more drives, a GTX 1060 and overclock everything to the max and still be safe. With a 650 watts PSU, you can add two GTX 1070s to SLI and overclock everything. So I don't think you will be needing 650 watts psu. As long as you are not thinking on adding a GPU with high consumption, youll be fine.

As for overclocking, later on it can extend the life of this build.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Marvellous, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you plan on overclocking?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure - I don't know enough about it.

Would you recommend doing it, and why?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube