add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a quiet ITX build - help please

johnlon

37 months ago

Will be used by son for gaming, and by myself for s/w development.

We want this thing to be quiet and we are not interested in overclocking.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £183.05 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler £68.00
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard £155.48 @ More Computers
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £180.50 @ CCL Computers
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £149.99 @ Novatech
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card £199.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1 Mini ITX Desktop Case £40.61 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 500W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £78.98 @ Amazon UK
Case Fan be quiet! SHADOW WINGS SW1 23.8 CFM 80mm Fan £9.64 @ Ebuyer
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1066.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 09:33 GMT+0000

Anywhere I'm wasting £ is also interesting. Do I need to replace the stock cooler to get something that's quiet and won't overheat in that case?

We already have

• the case - a Thermaltake F1 and there's a height limit on the cooler <140mm

• the memory - 32GB due to dev work.

• Samsung 960 nVME - The nVME is 2280 form factor - so I need an ITX mobo that supports booting from nVME

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The cooler you chose will definitely keep it quiet and cool, but that same job can be done by a much less expensive cooler.

Assuming you do need the 32gb of high speed ram, these are the changes I'd make. (I'm a bit confused on what's bought already, so any parts you have should still be functional with this list, this is just my ideal and price-optimized suggestion). The PSU is of a higher quality (the gold vs silver means almost nothing. the Pure Power series is of a higher caliber than the Straight Power series)

Overall, I got the price down 140 pounds, but only on assumption that nothing had been purchased yet. 40 pounds on the motherboard and 50 pounds on the CPU cooler are definite. The Aidos cools on par with a 212 EVO, but for a bit less cost, so you will have some great cooling power with low noise since you're running a locked processor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £183.05 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler RAIJINTEK AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £17.70 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard £119.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory £157.74 @ Novatech
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £110.53 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card £232.98 @ Ebuyer
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1 Mini ITX Desktop Case £40.61 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply be quiet! PURE POWER 9 400W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £51.86 @ CCL Computers
Case Fan be quiet! SHADOW WINGS 44.1 CFM 80mm Fan £9.49 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £923.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 09:55 GMT+0000
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi thanks for that advice.

We use machines with nvme (not sata) drives and 32 GB at work for development. Hoping to get a reasonably similar build at home but with the addition of a GPU for my son.

That cooler looks like it is too tall for the case. I got that case because it is small and one of the reasons the original cooler was chosen because it fitted as they are lots of other choices otherwise. Are these any lower profile 140mm max coolers that are effective and quiet?

The ssd I've selected is of the nvme variety rather than sata so I'm expecting much better io perf from the Samsung. Experiments at work have demonstrated much faster edit, compile, run test cycles on nvme.

Do you know if that mobo will boot from nvme.? One of the reasons for the asrock is their docs do state that nvme booting is supported.

The power supply is good advice and will add that to my list.

Thanks for the help.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The Aidos is 136mm which is below the 140mm limit of the case. The Cryorig that Awakening suggested is also an outstanding option. It's pretty much the gold standard for a stock replacement, and it is a very compact cooler too

And as Awakening said, the board does offer full m.2 and nvme support, so I'd be very surprised if it didn't offer nvme boot.

When I made my suggestion on the SSD, I made it based on the assumption that this was one of the 95% of builds that wouldn't fully utilize the nvme throughput. But after your explanation, it will definitely be a benefit so I'd suggest sticking with one of the Samsungs

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info. Getting closer hopefully.

The case I've chosen troubles me. I wanted something small hence the F1 but I am a but concerned about whether the noise will be acceptable and whether something else would be better. But I was also worried that some other cases with fewer vent holes might get hot? Any advice? Definitely something small but quiet.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That's great the M9i is short enough.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Help me decide between the corsair rmx PSU and the pure power. The latter is cheaper but which is quietet in typical use.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Do if I use an excessively big PSU then it will rarely spin up? The 650 is only £5 more on Amazon at £89

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube