add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Photoshop Build on a budget

Sjea

37 months ago

This is a build for a client, I normally do not build PC's for client's most my clients are happy with the cookie cut computer with that said I take no credit for this build I cherry picked it I would give credit if I know who it was. I would love any input on this computer my main goal is to give client best bang for his buck but keep it budget enough so I can get paid for my time

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/XsHtQV

Thank you in advance for any advice

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $191.91 @ B&H
CPU Cooler CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock B150M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $73.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $159.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $129.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card $139.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $69.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $75.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $90.72 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1082.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 12:48 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you Allan_M_Systems my goal is for less$$, not that your system might be a better choice but after the parts and my time it would blow him out of the water

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure if the price of the PSU you selected changed after you selected it, but there's nothing to be gained by using a $200 PSU for this build There are lots of options under $100 that are very well built. Post the markup at the time you put a build together for proposal so we know what sort of price point you were seeing at the time you chose parts...

Here are my concerns with the build as proposed:

1. SSD might prove to be a bit too small to use as a project drive. ~500GB is a good size to shoot for.

2. The GTX 750Ti is a poor value GPU. Get a GTX1050 for the same price, or a GTX1050Ti for only $30-40 more. The 1050 is about twice as powerful as a 750Ti, for the same price and power dissipation.

3. If you only change 1 thing about the build, the most important is going to be RAM. 8GB isn't enough for any serious work in photoshop. 16GB minimum. Pick a motherboard with 4 DIMM slots for more upgrade path here. RAM is the most important specification that sets hard limits on what can and can't be done in photoshop. Once this program runs out of RAM, which is uses tons of, the performance gets bound to scratch disk read/write speeds, and it can take hours to do a few simple manipulations.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hum I like what you are saying I know very little about Photoshop I see what you are saying about ram, mobo, and graphics, but ssd? I happen to have the 240 gig in my shop won't the 4 TB act as storage? or do the projects get that big? when working on them? Bottom line I have no problem telling the client this is what he wants, I make my money either way . But I still want my client to come before $$ word of mouth last longer than a quick buck.

Thank you so much for your input and time

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I sort of think of SSD space as "active project space." That being said, for photoshop work, it would be fine to keep the files on a mechanical drive.

I have a 256GB SSD for my system/application drive, a 1TB SSD for active project space, and 2 X 4TB mechanical drives for storage and backup. So that's sort of the perspective I'm looking at this from.

Personally, It's not uncommon for me to have 50-100GB worth of RAW photos after being out and about on a trip taking pictures. My workflow for processing them involves throwing them all on the SSD, then sorting and processing them with darktable, then moving finished groups of "developed" work over to the mechanical drives for storage/backup. Most of that space is unused, but that means I don't have to waste time managing use of available space. I can get lazy for awhile and let active projects build up on the SSD, no big deal.

How much space will be useful really depends on the anticipated workflow and project sizes.

I think the most important thing here is to beef up the RAM, 16-32GB+ is ideal for photoshop, but again, really depends on the intended use. For editing single layer 16MP images from a camera, a lot less will do fine. For opening dozens of big images, and cutting and pasting pieces and parts all into a single huge file, creating lots of layers at huge canvas sizes, yea... MORE RAM!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I changed the memory to the cheapest single 8GB stick because the motherboard has only two slots.

The secondary storage drive was changed to the cheapest 3TB drive.

The video card was upgraded to a GTX 1050 Ti.

I changed the case to a Micro ATX to match the motherboard and it looks nice and professional.

The power supply was changed to a 450W version because 750W is way too much and over priced.

Lastly, I changed the operating system to the USB version of Windows 10.

That is well over $100 shaved off without losing any performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $191.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $49.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $39.99 @ NCIX US
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $68.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card $138.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case $74.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $53.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $106.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $786.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 12:34 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you jgb530

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you imadeadmau5er

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube