add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My Z170/i7-6700K List so far...

DAVE_TOO

37 months ago

Here is what I have so far. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WjLNvV

This build is for my wife who never met a window she ever closed! That is why I want 32GB of memory. I selected 3 different speeds, and will pick only 1 of course. So what do you all think. I also picked this Video card as it supported her 2 DVI Monitors. She does not play games so I thought this would be good enough. Also, looking at 3TB drive but added 4TB if the price is good on Black Friday. Is my PS choice good as well?

Thank you all, Dave

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The HDD's are of terribe value, that GPU is total crap for its price, that case isn't good for its price, I'm doubting you need that SSD, I'm doubting you need that much RAM, the Evo 212 isn't a good choice in cooler. What is this build for?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This is for my wife and I already have a Z97 build and we like its case. I am already using this cooler and SSD and HDD so I am familiar with them. There is a good price now on the PSU only about $69 after rebate so isn't that very good? As for the Video, it seemed like a good fit for her 2 DVI monitors...we do not need a gaming GPU.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a good price now on the PSU only about $69 after rebate so isn't that very good?

No, it is just not a good unit.

I am already using this cooler and SSD and HDD so I am familiar with them.

If you don't own them no reason to buy them, the HDD is on par with sub $100 models, and unless you need the high endurance you won't notice the difference between that SSD and any other decent one. For the CPU cooler it is on par with a Cryorig M9i which is relatively a lot cheaper.

As for the Video, it seemed like a good fit for her 2 DVI monitors...

You can do that with the integrated graphics which is free. What is this build for?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I am surprised you say that this PSU is not a good unit. I thought the EVGA G2 was a good supply. As far as saying I already own the SSD and HDD goes, yes I do already own them, but this is a 2nd system I am going to build for my wife, so I still need them for my own Z97. She mostly has spreadsheet, Quicken, and other stuff open.

Anyway, what would be a better PSU? Also, I am looking at a better price on the WD Black drive on BF. I was looking at using the integrated graphics, but I do not believe the MoBo supports 2 DVI interfaces. I guess I can use an adapter, however.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I would swore you had the Nex aka the G1. The G2 is a good PSU.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $109.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $84.99 @ Newegg
Memory Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $67.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $124.87 @ NCIX US
Storage Toshiba X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $152.70 @ B&H
Case Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case $108.00 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.49 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive *Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Newegg
Other AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable - 6 Feet (Latest Standard) $5.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $748.01
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 21:55 EST-0500

This is plenty for her needs.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I will look at your list. As far as the PSU goes, I may as well get the G2 650 watt one as there is a $20 rebate so it is only $69 at BH. However, I just noticed the 550 Watt also has a $20 rebate, so it is $10 less. My Z97 is using a 550 Watt Seasonic...I guess 550 Watts is enough especially if I use Integrated graphics. Then again, wouldn't an extra 100 watts for $10 be a good deal?

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube