add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Tical84

37 months ago

I'm building an HTPC/NAS combo and I created a parts list using basically as cheap of parts as I could $332.72 CAD (found HERE). Then I decided to check Kijiji for a case and I came across a brand new build that looked like THIS for $500 CAD. The case and motherboard don't seem to be on this site but I added a link to each.

Extra HDDs would be added to the first build, while a small SSD would be added to Kijiji build.

Would it be worth it to go with the Kijiji premade computer? Suggestions?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The Kijiji will far outperform your HTPC build. The question becomes whether that's worth the extra money. Power supply in that one's a bit of a question mark, though.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed.

I also have all the parts to get an i7 3820 up and running I just need some SATA to IDE adapters to get the old HDDs to work on it so I may go that route.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sandy Bridge-E HTPC? Well, there is no kill like overkill. Sounds like a winner to me.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, ya well my work was giving them away for free, they just weren't including the HDD for security reasons and all I have are old IDE. Haven't decided if I want to get a $2 adaptor or just buy a small SSD for the OS and apps, and a new large HDD for storage. It's also an ATX motherboard so it's a little large for an HTPC.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

There are HTPC cases that should fit it if you decide to go that way.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The second build will have better overall performance, but since you're talking HTPC/NAS, the vid card is superfluous, the integrated graphics should meet your needs (& save you about $70, which, if you're willing to spend it, you can buy a low-storage SSD - 60 GB or so - to run the OS).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube