add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
zbrushor

37 months ago

Hey guys!

I am building PC for heavy use in 3D - Maya, Octane Render as well as Photoshop. My budget is around $2500 but bear in mind that I live in EU so prices are different.

Here is what I got:

Note: GTX 1080- I will use it only for rendering in Octane (GPU rendering engine) so there will be no SLI between those cards. GTX 680 will be handling system graphics.

Here are my questions:

There will be 5 mm(0.2 inch) of space between case and that Noctua fan. Max CPU height in that Corsair case is 170 mm (7 inches) and Noctua has 165 mm (6.5 inch). Is it enough?

I was wondering if that PSU is enough in terms of power and pin connectors for that build in mind?

Lastly, I was considering i7 6850k version but it's quiet expensive comparing it to 6800k. I know 6850k has more PCI lanes 40 but 6800k has 28. That 28 lanes will be enough for gtx 1080 and gtx 680 and the entire system to run smoothly? Those extra PCI express lanes I would need if I had in mind expanding my system with more GPUs more than 2, right?

Thanks!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The power supply is a question mark. The CSM series seems to have fallen out of favor, the general consensus being that superior options are available for not much more (or the same) money. CSM750 has four 6+2 PCIe connectors, which you'll use up on the 680 and 1080. You could make that up with Molex-PCIe adapters, but that's generally frowned upon. PCPP doesn't let you filter by that criteria, but Newegg does. I'd go SSR-750RM or 750 GQ.

For PCIe lanes with the 6800K, the 950 Pro will be using four, leaving 24 for the GPUs (everything else will communicate through the PCH). But that's enough to run all 3 at x8, which is the max the board supports. From the layout, it looks like three 1080s would leave you without a place to plug in the 680, so you'd need to get a different graphics card for display purposes. Also, at that point you'd need eight PCIe connectors, and a beefier PSU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube