add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

follow up from a previous post. WHITE BUILD?!

Alu21107

37 months ago

hey guys im following up from a previous post

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/t8LKcc

well after going through the site and looking at other peoples builds, i immediately fell in love white white. so here is my white build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4rQbwV

what do you guys think? would you take my original build or the white build? or just similar and either will suffice? not real computer savvy and when it comes to mobos i cant really tell one over the other except for price. my pc will be for gaming with room for growth in the future as demands become higher.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, your original build is missing CPU and MB. Hard to say without those. The other looks really good, though you could save yourself a few dollars with an EVGA G2 550.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

the 2nd link actually has everything its just at the bottom. its from micro center so i entered a custom price.

i got recommended the 650 so i could have room to add another gpu in the future if needed as well as OCing.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops. Completely missed that. I'm not personally sold on SLI, and 550 would be enough for single GPU plus an overclock. But yeah, you'd definitely want 650 if going dual.

So given your white theme, any reason you chose the Z170 PRO over the Sabertooth? You could also get that MX300 in NVMe.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $235.49 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $178.89 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $70.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card $408.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $68.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $104.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $82.00 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $219.99 @ Best Buy
Keyboard Razer Ornata Wired Gaming Keyboard $79.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1672.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-16 14:15 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I didnt really have a reason why i went z170 pro over sabertooth really lol. New at this pc building thing.

Im still teying to figure out even what the difference is between pro and pro gaming.

I was thinking of going sabertooth s for looks. It was the same price for z170 pro also. Is the difference big between the 2 other than looks?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

For the most part, a motherboard is a motherboard. They differ in feature set, but performance varies by a negligible amount in most cases. Some may OC better, or work better at high RAM speeds, or have a slight power efficiency advantage. But if a given model has the specs you need, it's probably good as any other.

As far as differences between the Sabertooth and Pro, they're pretty comparable. The PRO has an Intel USB 3.1 controller, vs. the ASMedia on the Sabertooth. Sabertooth only supports up to DDR4-2400 according to ASUS's spec page, which is weird. I've never seen that on a Z170 board. The Sabertooth also has a bunch of "TUF"-branded features that I cant say much about, and an apparent 8+4 phase VRM and 5-year warranty against the PRO's 8-phase (or possibly 8+2) and 3 years. I'm not enough of a MB guru to know how important the VRM stuff is. Sabertooth has two SATA Express, PRO has one (6 SATA total on each). PRO has one more PCIeX1 slot.

For similarities, both have: 1xM.2, x8/x8 PCIe support, Intel 219V LAN, Realtek 1150 audio, and USB 3.1 Type C, along with all the other stuff that's standard on most, if not all, Z170 boards.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you wanted to go for a Pro, you probably just need a Z170 A. The PRO GAMING also has red accents- so if you don't want red you shouldn't get it. The Z170 A is pretty great.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

My local Micro center has a z170 pro. $159.99 for black friday special. No z170 a or pro graming.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube