add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First ever Gaming PC build (edited under advice from LTT forum)

restorex

37 months ago

I'm soon going to take up Game Programming and decided to make a new computer to replace my laptop. This build is aimed at being able to program, compile programs, and game smoothly (BF1 and Overwatch). Need not be ultra graphics but maybe 1080/720p, which would be a massive upgrade to my potato laptop that runs league of legends and TF2 on low - very low graphics. This is suppose to be an entry/mid-level PC that can dual boot Ubuntu and Win10 with the Nvidia 1050Ti and Intel i5-6600. Maybe help rate and feedback on the PC build since this is my first time building a PC? And do share some tips/advice for first-time PC builders like myself too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KCLGxY

Edit: Is it possible y'all help to manually check for compatibility just to be sure? Thanks, you guys are great!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Monitor is expensive for just a standard 1080p 60hz monitor. Replaced with an AOC E2425SWD
Swapped the 1x16 GB sticks for cheaper 2x8GB sticks
Hard drive seems to be out of stock, replaced with WD Caviar Blue 1TB Replaced the SSD PLUS for an SP550. A bit cheaper, but performance should be almost indistinguishable.

Used the extra money freed up to upgrade the 1050ti to an RX 470.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $190.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $61.98 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $67.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $61.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card $173.98 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.49 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $16.79 @ OutletPC
Monitor AOC E2425SWD 24.0" 60Hz Monitor $99.99 @ Newegg
Speakers Bose Companion 2 Series III 0W 2ch Speakers $99.00 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1011.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-15 10:23 EST-0500

It's all compatible, you'll have to remove some hard drive pays in the core 1000 to put the GPU in but that's fine.
If it's your first time building a PC, I recommend looking at PC part picker's build guides. They do step by step walkthroughs of building PCs, after watching a few and following the manuals, building a PC should be a breeze for you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA4BpBaN8wLCYYq24TiF9aWHwc0nvxpZD

• 37 months ago
  • 0 points

MOBO has 4 RAM slots and you choose 1x16GB... why?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube