add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

520w enough for i7 6700k + gtx 1070 ?

Bera
  • 41 months ago

At least now , i've chosen to buy the 520w full modular / non modular psu from seasonic , as it is a tier 2 psu , and the brand is good too . Now , i don't know if 520w are enough for both a gtx 1070 overclocked (asus strix non oc-ed version of the card) and an i7 6700k oc at ~4.5ghz-4.7ghz (as the asrock z170 k4 and the cooler should push it there ) . I currently have only a 275gb ssd , but ill soon add a hdd , and maybe 1 hdd and 2 ssds later . Also , one little question : can the silentiumpc fortis 3 (which is a little bit better than the cryorig h7) push the i7 to 4.5 - 4.7ghz ? If not , can the DeepCool Gamer Storm Assassin II do it ?which one should i choose (the difference between them is ~20 euros)

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the PSU will be enough, but the CXM is a better supply and it costs less, depending on the wattage and the location. For what it's worth, the M12ii (the 520w Seasonic) is barely a tier 2. It might as well be a tier 3. That being said, any of the PSU tier lists are old and outdated, and they used a bunch of inaccurate generalizations.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

The corsair's ones are a lil bit expensive . For example , the price of a 550w from corsair is the same with a 620w modular one from seasonic . Are they really better ?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know your exact location so I can't do anything about not knowing the prices...

But yes, they are objectively better than the SeaSonic M12ii. They have better ripple voltage, better regulation, better overwattage, better thermals, better capacitors, and better lifetime.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

From some new tier lists ive saw (such as https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/) it seems both are tier 3 psus . So ill stay with seasonic . What about the air cooler ? Its an offtopic question but i need help on it too , maybe you could help me

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Its better all around, you shouldn't use tier lists. They are often wrong.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125935&postcount=12.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=475

That's $78.67 US dollars to you and me. This makes it cheaper than Corsair's own CX600 there, as well as the EVGA 600B, Antec HCG 520W, and Seasonic S12-II 620W. It is the same price as the BeQuiet Pure Power 9 500W and a few others in that power range. You know what? Nothing at this site competes for that money.

A lot of power supply companies, when they put a word like "Vengeance" on the side of their units, it's really just wishful thinking and they don't have the guts to really live up to the name. Corsair just showed us that is most definitely not the case this time. There's something wrong with the entire market if these things don't sell like hotcakes in their native market. The sheer amount of performance and build quality you get with this thing on just under $80 given the competition is mind boggling.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry, but choosing based off something that a random internet user's tier list says is a poor way to do it.

You don't know if they:

-Have enough data and information from reviews to decide which should go in which tier (some PSU reviewers are far more in-depth than others).

-Looked at proper, well done reviews for each PSU (some reviewers go in little depth in the PSU internals and do very few tests).

-Have enough knowledge to be able to make such a list without making big mistakes or overlooking important aspects of PSUs entirely (such as protections or transient response).

-Are up-to-date on any changes to a PSU series, even if they made an addition recently.

You could maybe use some of the less crappy ones like the one you looked at as a general guide, but you shouldn't base any purchase off of what one says and look at professional reviews (I have some reviewers listed in my profile) instead.

Everything that fellway said is correct, aside from the capacitor bit and arguably the better lifetime bit if he is referring to long-term reliability. Not to mention that the CXM has a better set of protections and is more modern with DC-DC VRMs to generate the minor rails instead of the really old, cheap group regulated design in the SeaSonic.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrightw , So , the moddel your talking about is the corsair cx550m ? The grey one ? I dunno what to say . 90% of the people on forums (tomshardware) said the opposite ..thats something that i cant understand . I just made a thread too asking if the seasonic is good and no word of corsair there Do you have any sort of test / professional review for both on them , so i make my mind ? On the paper , why is the corsair better ? What are those better set of protections really mean and the rest . I'm personally not a fan of corsair psu's as there are many people mocking them .. but who knows .

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill maybe give the corsair one a chance , but please bring some actual proof too , as im currently sticking with what the masses say : seasonic . If you bring some real important things .. i might aswell go corsair

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get a Corsair CXM, its a better PSU.

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's the 520w fully modular SeaSonic, it'll be the m12ii.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Seasonic M12II Bronze EVO Edition is the psu

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube