add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I need some opinions on this build. Any adivce from experts be much appreciated.

Joseph8807

37 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VtwdxY

My budget is anywhere between 1200 to 2000. If I can keep costs down while hitting my performance needs that will be pretty helpful. Also, this will be my first time building a computer. I'm pretty nervous lol.

First of all I need to have an i7 even though an i5 will currently suit my needs because I may in the near future start working on stuff that requires more power and I don't want to be tied down by an i5. In other words, it is future proofing.

Second of all, I want my computer to run most games at 1080p 60 fps and be able to easily upgrade parts to keep it that way for years to come. Heck, I may want to upgrade to 4k in the future, but maybe by the time that comes there will be more single graphics cards that will be able to handle that. I'm not in a rush to go 4k after all. Having a computer that can run things magnificently at 1080p is my main concern at this time.

Third of all, I may not want to overclock at all, but I always want the option to do so. I could be convinced otherwise if it is not worth it.

Once again here is my build option: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VtwdxY

What do you guys recommend or is it pretty good already. What can I do to shave costs off while keeping the performance?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Seagate barracuda 2tb 7200rpm hard drive, cheaper RAM >:D

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for that suggestion, I definitely could go lower with the ram.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything looks really good! Although, unless you really need the BlueRay disk drive, I recommend that you take that out of the build and instead buy a better monitor with better specs If you want to go 144hz then I recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=amazon0606-20 If you want 1440p then I recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-G257HU-smidpx-25-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00QS0AKVK?tag=amazon0606-20 Good luck!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I do want to try and keep the bluray disk drive because most of my movies are physical products. I know it adds to the cost but it is pretty important for me still. I haven't entirely given up on physical discs.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Not bad but it could use some work.

I changed the CPU cooler to the Scythe FUMA. It costs more but is still a great value and worth it.

The memory was upgraded to DDR4-3200 for less money.

The primary storage drive was changed to a cheaper unit to save costs.

The secondary storage drive was upgraded to a 3TB for less money.

The video card was changed to the cheapest GTX 1070.

I removed the optical drive and added the USB version of Windows 10.

The monitor was upgraded to a 144Hz refresh rate for less money.

Everything else I did not change.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $144.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $93.99 @ Newegg
Storage Plextor M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $84.80 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card $379.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $74.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $117.49 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $106.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Acer GN246HL 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $188.83 @ B&H
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $129.99 @ Corsair
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse $59.99 @ Corsair
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1821.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-15 18:25 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I know that a lot of people recommend not having an optical drive because it adds to the cost, but for me I still prefer watching movies with discs rather than streaming especially since most of my movies are physical products. I do play most of my games through steam however.

I appreciate the cheaper changes you made to my other components. And I guess getting a 144 hz monitor could be worth it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I updated my build to option 2. It is not final yet, but I want to have something ready before black friday. I think it is a little improved from my first one. Besides, no matter what I finalize people will always pick it apart and suggest changes. I actually appreciate that, but sometimes you need to settle with something even if it is not the most efficient thing as to cost/performance ratio. However, if there is anything here that gnaws at you that you want to see changed then I will definitely consider it. After all, I'm still new to computer building and I'm taking a risk in building my own computer rather than getting a prebuilt like the digital storm vanquish 5 that I was looking at.

What do you guys think? And thanks for all of the help!

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rzj66X

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Only thing I would suggest is spend an extra 40 for the rapidfire rgb k70 the keys are really nice.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow. Thanks for taking the time for all of those new suggestions. I'll definitely keep these in mind when finalizing my build.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube