add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can my current pc handle it?

PhilboHobbit

37 months ago

So I just got the Witcher 3 and it turns out I need to upgrade my graphics card, but I am really unsure when it comes to part compatibility. Currently, I have an HP Envy 700-329. It has the base Memphis-B motherboard, a quad-core i7-4770 3.4ghz processor, a 460 watt power supply and the basic hp envy case. The graphics card I have in it is a GeForce GT 635, so it's kinda meh. I found that the Radeon RX 460 2gb GDDR5 would suit my needs. But will it be compatible with the rest of my pc, or will it not fit in my case? And will my power supply be strong enough? Also, I heard somewhere that Radeon graphics cards were less reliable than Nvidia. Is that true?

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. I don't intend to spend more than $250 on this, so please don't say to just get a new pc. However, if you have any other suggestions for graphics cards, I'm open to hearing them!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Radeon graphics cards aren't less reliable, maybe just less optimized due to Nvidia's hold over the GPU market. A GTX 1050 would work just as fine and it is also in the same price frame. Also, Hairworks is in Witcher 3 and that is an Nvidia proprietary software so it will work much better with the GTX 1050. If you're willing to spend a little more, I also recommend the GTX 1050 ti for $150 and the GTX 1060 for $200. Good luck!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Alright, I actually like the gtx 1050, so thanks for the tip! Any idea whether it would be compatible with my current setup?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Yea it should be compatible. Since the 1050 is small form factor it should be able to fit in most prebuilt PC's. Also, its TDP will fit within the 460 Watt power supply.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a way to check that without opening it up? ^

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome information there my friend. Thanks a lot for your time and effort!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube