add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
rgburke3

37 months ago

Just looking for opinions. If there are ways I can go cheaper and get the same or better performance please let me know. I am also not particular to Intel or AMD if one is better then it is. Also is this a solid setup? Thanks

Here is my URL to my parts list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mLnPKZ

(In case the URL doesn't work)

Parts: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - $235.49 Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler - $96.99 Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - $129.00 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - $99.99 Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $94.89 Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $92.69 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card - $429.99 NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case - $87.99 EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - $79.99 LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer - $47.89 Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit - $85.70 Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 Software - $119.25

Total - $1,609.84

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you did really good overall, tho you can for sure save a few bucks without hurting performance i think.

Intel is the way to go for a gaming pc atm, maybe amd will be back in the running when their new chips drop late this/early next year but until then intel is better.

Arctic cooling freezer 240 is a little cheaper and gets really good reviews, I don't remember how it compares to the h100i tho but they're prolly pretty close.

I dunno if you're trying to colour code the build but the black lpx ram has lower latency (15 vs 16) which will make it fractionally quicker, also a few bucks cheaper atm.

EVGA have had an issue (overheating of some kind iirc) recently with their 10xx range cards, there's a bios fix out now but you can get another twin fan 1070 for ~$50 cheaper, very slightly lower clock speed but you should be able to oc the gigabyte to the same level anyway.

850 evo's are very popular (which kinda surprises me after their snafu previous gen) but you can get the same real world performance & a little extra capacity for slightly cheaper with the mx300.

EVGA nex/g1 psus are not highly rated, the g2 model is the one that's bad ***, and you can get it for a little cheaper too after a $20 mir.

Unless you need ms office for some specific reason you can prolly get cheap/free software that provides the same functionality, check out open office (free iirc) for example tho there's prolly other options.

NXZT Phantom is a kinda old design now i think, not that makes it bad or anything but i might think about changing it personally. If you do keep it you'll prolly wanna move the stock fans around, as supplied you have more exhaust than inflow and that gives negative case pressure so you'll be sucking in dust through all the little openings and cracks, if you move the back exhaust to the front that would give you 2 in 1 out (at the top) so you have positive case pressure which helps keep the dust out. Oh I forgot about the fans on the coolers rad... maybe move the top 140mm fan to the side to help keep positive pressure.

Anyway, it's about $100 cheaper now even including ms office, you could also save some extra bucks with a good air cooler (cryorig h7 or scythe fuma for example) and 3000mhz ram is a little cheaper too iirc, and tbh you don't really need 16gig for a pure gaming build atm either.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $235.49 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $73.63 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $121.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $93.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $78.85 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $92.69 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card $379.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $87.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $73.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $47.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.89 @ OutletPC
Software Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 Software $119.25 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1530.63
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1490.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-15 23:37 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks man! Really enjoyed that fact that you went into detail on every change and had good reasons. I really like the look of the NZXT plus the USB ports in the front for my ease of comfort honestly. But make sense about the case pressure. What case would you recommend if you don't mind? I am kinda new to the PC builder world. Thanks again for the tips and more importantly the explanation behind everything. Have a good day.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome :D

I'm a big fan of the fractal design define range (r5 latest revision) but there's many many good options (and like I said the Phantom isn't bad by any means), phanteks ethoo range is nice tho the side usbs might not work for you, thermaltake x31 looks nice too imo and the psu cover, which has become popular recently, helps give a cleaner look with the big window.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube