add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mac User wants to return...

justchrisboy

37 months ago

Hi guys,

I had a Gaming PC quite a while ago. Since like 2009 or so I had only iMacs, MacBooks and so on and I litteraly went from "PC master race" to productivity work and consoles. But I really want to come back to the "light side" now and want to build myself a new Gaming Rig.

I do not want to spend like thousands of dollars (euro since I am from Germany) on a new system but it has to be somewhat (substantially) relevant and "good to go" for a while, if you get what I mean.

So asa you guys can imagine I am "out of the scene" for quite a while now and I am not on track when it comes to new stuff. Last time I had a gaming rif it had a AMD Athlon 64 (I guess it was) in it and was brand new :)

So I picked this rig and I was wandering if you could give me your opinions on it:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4JhCD8

Yes, I know it has no monitors in it, yet.

1.) General opinions? 2.) Is the power supply with 550W ok or should I go with more W? 3.) Main concern: Graphicscard...is the one I picked ok? I heard only "GeForce" supports PhysX and so. What should I go with in this price range (200-300 bucks approx.)

Thank you a lot in advance. Chris

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I did that, thank you!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks pretty good! You don't need the sound card, but that's been already said.

I'd recommend a Cryorig H7 for better performance and looks, but that's up to you.

If you've got some money left over, I'd pick up some cable extensions from BitFenix or Phanteks to add a little bit to your build. The S340's basement is large enough to hold most of the OEM cables, and the cover goes across the entire length so you never see the PSU or drives.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

As you guys can imagine, I am still crafting with all the stuff and the latest update is here:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/XQcJtJ

If you could have a look?

What exactly do you mean by cable extensions? Could you post a link? I am all into the WHITE theme...

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you are spending too much in periferals when you can get a getter gpu (gtx 1070)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I disagree peripherals are pretty important for comfort if you play a lot. I would go for Logitech or corsair though razer are overpriced for the quality.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

you can get great peripherals at a lower price.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Such as Logitech's Prodigy series

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

New list, GTX 1070 and better Wi-Fi card. Faster HDD, too. Case fans for a better look.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor €339.30 @ Mindfactory
CPU Cooler NZXT HAVIK 120 75.8 CFM CPU Cooler €39.90
Motherboard MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard €155.37 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory €80.00
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €73.93 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive €99.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card €439.85 @ Mindfactory
Case NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case €99.90
Power Supply XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €79.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter €60.00
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan €19.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition 63.5 CFM 120mm Fan €16.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition (2-Pack) 63.5 CFM 120mm Fans €28.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard €155.00
Mouse Razer Mamba Tournament Edition Wired Laser Mouse €82.00
Speakers Audioengine A2+W 60W 2ch Speakers €249.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Other Audioengine DS1 Desktop Speaker Stands, Small-Black (Pair) €33.00
Other SteelSeries XXL Gaming Mouse Pad (67500) €37.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €2089.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 03:59 CET+0100

Here are some good, cheap extensions. Mostly for show.

Since it's a gaming build, I would swap the 6700k for a 6600k, but that's just me.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there. First of all, thank you a lot. See...there are some questions I need to be answered :)

1.) I was thinking about Case Fans too, but I did not know a.) which sizes did I need (where did you know that from?!) and b.) if I needed them. There are fans in the case, right? are those just for the looks of it since they're white? Also, I founds some from Phanteks with LEDs in them :)

2.) Why did you change the CPU Cooler? Was there something bad about it? Also, I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/ENERMAX-side-flow-cooler-ETS-T40Fit-W-Cluster/dp/B012NI8P5S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1446489307&sr=8-1&keywords=Enermax+ETS-T40+Fit+White+Cluster&linkCode=sl1&tag=awesomnetwor-20&linkId=2db29189f8d8af97654f68724737ff0f

Its featured here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVEOn1twkYQ

I think this looks awesome for a white build. Opinions?

3.) Thank you for the link to those extensions. Are they "power supply specific" every time or to they match like "all" to "the most" power supplies?

Cheers, Chris

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You can just look on the manufacturer's website or some vendors, like Newegg, which list specs. For example, the S340 Elite supports :

2x120mm / 2x140mm fans in the front

1x120 / 1x140mm fan at the top

1x120mm fan in the back.

You can check this on any other case listed on Newegg. I've just used the S340 Elite as an example. Click on the Specifications tab and scroll down.

I changed the cooler mostly because it's a lot cheaper, by nature. There's nothing bad about the Deepcool Captain you used. It's a perfectly good water cooler.

Unfortunately, the Enermax fan you chose is 2mm taller than the S340's maximum cooler hight - 160mm. This can be quickly checked on PCPartPicker on the product's page.

Power supply extensions are universal. This is simply due to the ATX standard (I believe), which standardized cables and connectors across all motherboards and power supplies. So, extensions will work on a SeaSonic power supply, a Corsair one, an XFX one, etc.

However, you can get full-on power supply specific cables (Only compatible with fully modular power supplies) If you want your build to look better. For example, you case has a tempered glass side panel behind the motherboard, or your case might not have a basement. So you'll want the full color treatment. However, since cable sets are power supply specific and longer, they cost more than extensions.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there.

Thank you again for your time to respond.

Ok I now get that with the cooler. Some work buddies told me that a liquid CPU cooler is too overkill for my CPU and are way too expensive, too.

Ok, now I know the thing with sizes too. I now found a very cool looking and well-rated cooler from a company around here: https://www.alpenfoehn.de/cpu-kuehler/matterhorn-white-edition

The website is in german and - the coolers height is 158mm - that should fit in the case (since it supports up to 160mm)

And the thing with cable extensions: Did I get that right? For cable EXTENSIONS the PSU does not need to be modular - they'll fit! But with cable SETS the PSU has to be modular AND the cables need to fit to the specific PSU model. Right?

Cheers, Chris

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

check this one changed the i7 to an i5 since its a gaming build. Switched to a better quality psu and changed the 480 to a galaxy 1060 because they have a pure white one to match the build. Somewhere sells a nice white rgb keyboard ill have to find the link for it. Found it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6YZ4821434&cm_re=white_rgb_keyboard-_-9SIA6YZ4821434-_-Product I don't know what countries you can order from though I guess.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there. First of all, thank you a lot.

Some things:

1.) But why the i7 to an i5? I really thought - see I was "away" from gaming for a while - the higher the number the better...Isn't that the case here?

2.) I went with this video card: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/fPFXsY/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1070-o8g

3.) Wow...I freakin' LOVE this keyboard. I can easily order this from amazon US to germany, should not be that big of a deal.

4.) What's better with that PSU? It has less wattage, is bronze not gold and is the same manufacturer...

Cheers, Chris

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright

1. Games don't utilize more than four cores most don't utilize more than two so the i7 would be overkill for games its more for editing and streaming or extreme multitasking.

2. Asus is a good brand I just love how the white galaxy cards look with a white backplate.

3. I really wish I would have seen that keyboard before I bought my g810 I feel the same way about it.

4. The thing with psus is the internal parts that matter not the watts if its gold or not doesn't mean a thing just like the manufacturer. A corsair builder series is a really low end psu but a corsair cxm is a pretty high quality psu. Just like evgas b series compared to their g2. Its all about the parts on the inside not the name.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there. Thank you so much for your time to post. I think I got that now. Thanks again.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube