add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Workstation/Gaming rig for ~$1500

Nessumsar

37 months ago

Looking to do a workstation/gaming rig that will be used for YouTube video editing, and 1080P Gaming (I know the 1070 is overkill here, but want future-proofing). Located in California and do NOT need mouse/keyboard, monitor, PSU or CPU Cooler. I plan ro run the OS on the 120GB SSD, programs/games/projects on the 500GB SSD, and run the 2x 1TB HDs in Raid 1.

Link to my build Have already purchased an H100I V2 and Corsair AX760.

CPU

Intel Core i7-6700K

Motherboard

Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage

A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB HYBRID GAMING Video Card

Case

Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Optical Drive

LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Total: $1547.98

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you post the nicely formatted and linked parts lists? Copy/Pasting turns into diarrhea.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry about the diarrhea... I saw this comment (and my comment's formatting) after I posted. It turns out there's a "formatting help" link to the lower right of this window that gives the shortcuts to make things purdy. Next time...

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I am struggling through picking parts for my own, similar, $1300-1500 gaming/video editing build. I am following comments on your posting for insight. I am hoping that increasing your reply count will get more traffic on it. Thank you for titling your post descriptively. I'm trying to improve upon the staff's https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/KGNnTW/gaming-streaming-and-editing-build rig, currently priced at $1331.43, considering guidance from the staff's https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/HrnTwP/enthusiast-gaming-build, currently priced at $1502.92. I am a first-time builder, but if I'm remembering things correctly, your CPU's "K" indicates the over-clocking capability, and it is my understanding that you'd have to get a Z170 chipset motherboard to support overclocking. So, in my limited experience, it seems like you should either get the i7-6700 (no K) or get the Z170 motherboard. The "gaming" builds use the i5-6600k CPU, overclocked. The i7-6700 is recommended in the video/workstation over that CPU due to twice the threads (no benefit to gaming). I'm interested to hear from an expert if we'd both benefit enough from the i7-6700k over the non-K or i5-k. It seems that there is SOME benefit http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core-i7-6700K/Rating/3502). MicroCenter is showing a Black Friday deal for $260 (http://www.microcenter.com/product/451883/Core_i7-6700K_SkyLake_40GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor).... the i5 for $180 (http://www.microcenter.com/product/451885/Core_i5-6600K_SkyLake_35GHz_1151_Boxed_Processor). The CPU choice (overclocking or not) would drive the motherboard selection (Z170 or not). It is my understanding that your system would be speedier with 1 single larger SSD versus 2 smaller... that speed increases with size. I don't know your storage plan... RAID or backups internally, etc. I am looking at a single ~500GB SSD for OS and applications and a 1+TB HDD for other files. I have a pair of external 3TB HDDs in a rotation with off-site storage (work vs home with computer). Video Card: My build includes http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4XyxFT/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n1070wf2oc-8gd as the lowest cost "geforce gtx 1070" (per staff build parametric filters)... at what looks to be a $100 savings over your pick. Is there a $100 difference (or any) in performance? RAM: The staff's gaming/editing build recommended 32GB for the "video editing" aspect (and what I plan on using). 16GB is recommended for the "gaming" side. Hope you don't read this as nit-picking. I'm in the same boat and I think we're headed in the right general direction. "Gaming" and "Video Editing" seem to have different needs. Our challenge is to fulfill both sets in one rig. My additional challenge is that I want to not scare the wife who is giving me the latitude to do this purchase and build.. so likely no color-scheme windowed-case aggressive-looking thing. I'm looking for a plain case, potentially with some sound dampening. Hoping to learn more from some wise advisors!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what I've currently picked, heavily influenced by the staff higher-end gaming and gaming/workstation builds. I'm hoping to get this validated within a week to make the buys. I don't understand why the motherboard I picked doesn't come up in the staff's parametric criteria. At the manufacturer's website, it showed the desired 6x SATA 6GB/s ports in the specs, plus crossfire/SLI and USB 3.1. The i7-k pricing is MicroCenter's Black Friday deal. I went with the best air CPU cooler I could find... the liquid-cool leaks in reviews on various vendor sites scare me. I hope it fits, because it's HUGE. I haven't pinned down the case nor optical drive yet. I'm going to need the operating system and a set of speakers, since I'm replacing an old high-end laptop. (hope the info below comes out formatted correctly): PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $260.00
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $67.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $117.98 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $67.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $164.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card $379.49 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer $16.88 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $84.89 @ OutletPC
Speakers Genius SW-G2.1 1250 38W 2.1ch Speakers $49.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1478.06
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $1453.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-16 21:38 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Newegg has refurbished Corsair H100i V2's and AX760's right now. I picked up the H100 for $70 and the AX 760 for $100.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The Maximus VIII Gene is a Z170 chipset board.

I'm opting for the 16gb of ram as the videos I edit are no longer than around 10 minutes in length and that doesn't require 32gbs.

The N200 case seems to be a real sweet spot for ergonomics and cable routing in a sedate looking package. I plan to apply deadening material to the panels as well to combat as much noise as possible; which is a nice segway into the gfx card.

I picked the Hybrid due to its low noise. With the added water cooling the card will run at lower temps and thus lower fans speeds/noise.

You might want to keep an eye on Newegg as they will have a 128gb SanDisk SSD for 35 bucks starting next week, I plan to snag one myself. They'll also have the 6700k for $300 and Windows 10 for $80

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for sharing. Sorry for doubting your motherboard's Z170 support earlier... I should have pulled it up. You're right. I am curious why you are going with that motherboard. I see that PCPP also is listing yours as only having 2 SATA 6GB/s ports, when the manufacturer's website shows 6. From some reviews, that motherboard doesn't have alot of room to make things fit. I'm open-minded on all of my part picks, I just need more insight on the options and rationale. I'm still on the fence with the liquid cooling. Seeing photos of water droplets oozing out in some reviews has me a touch worried. Thanks for insight on the deals. It looks like a 240mm system. I may be mixed up on my "micro" and "mini", but it sounds like you're going for a smaller case/motherboard than me, right? The N200 seems to also have some flags on interior space, especially for 240mm coolers.
What are your storage needs, that you are going for a pair of SSD and pair of HDD? From what I read, a single 500GB SDD will be faster than a pair of smaller ones. It seems Samsung's 850 Evo is top rated and reviewed for speed and value for size. Thanks for hashing this out with me!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going through other relevant "Completed Builds", searching on i7-k and 1070 GPU. This one looks like it fits our criteria, minus a premium paid for the "appearances" we don't care about: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/BwM8TW . Again with the single larger SSD (850 Evo) for improved speed. Keeping in mind that my research says speed also decreases as SSDs fill beyond 90%... which will happen more quickly on each smaller SSD, as you have in your build.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Also http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LKFdnQ ...paid a premium for appearances, the 1080 GPU we both don't need, and an oversized PSU. We'd probably benefit from an increase to 16GB RAM. Put the savings into the 500GB 850 Evo SSD. Builder went with air CPU cooler... I think my pick of air cooler has better performance ratings. Based on some other relevant completed builds, I'm wondering about adding case fans to keep this cooler at lower RPMs (which should make it quieter).

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I singled out the GENE mobo for the following reasons:

Its ASUS
mATX format
SLI Capable
Tons of 4-pin fan headers along with a dedicated water pump header
Plenty of SATA connectors
A great 8-channel audio chipset

I wanted a dedicated SSD for the OS alone, and a dedicated SSD for all other programs and games. The two 1GB HDD's will be run in RAID 1 for redundancy of finished media projects. I am not a fan of putting all of my eggs in one "basket".

I do like smaller cases and the N200 seems to package an impressive amount of hardware into a tight space. while still maintaining great cable-management. Could i get a smaller case and make it work? Yes, but I would likely be compromising on airflow and cable management.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I hope your part selection and build goes well. I've ordered all of my parts, aside from RAM and the case, which will be finally selected in the next day or two, then ordered. Building the weekend after Thanksgiving. I bought the motherboard, CPU, and SSD from MicroCenter (in-store) at a very good deal. The rest I've ordered so far via Amazon Prime, since I'm a member and they are easy to deal with for returns, etc.. Some of the lowest-price part listing vendors didn't include shipping in their price and Amazon worked out cheaper, or comparable price. It looks like Amazon isn't setup to sell RAM very well. My parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/RPwH8K .

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube