add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I Have A Hypothetical Question

AirAssault237

38 months ago

Has anyone ever tried putting thermal paste in a water-cooling loop?

Wait a second, wait a second, at least hear me out first:

Thermal paste conducts heat, right? that's the whole point of it. So would it be crazy to assume a thermal-paste-based loop would provide better temps? Obviously something would have to be mixed with it (it ain't called paste for nothing) in order to make it flow.

Discuss below (beyond just "BUTT TEH POMP WUNT WURK")

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a feeling that even it were mixed with something it might build up in parts of the loop like in the radiators or something.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

conducts heat

........right.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually if you wanted to get slightly better performance, you could drain the liquid and replace with distilled water. Water has better cooling performance vs. the anti-freeze based stuff they put in the loops from the factor. This is also why race cars use straight water in their cooling systems, NOT antifreeze coolant.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Wouldn't the water become conductive much faster as it will affect the parts much faster though?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Water tends to corrode metal parts faster than the stuff they use by default now doesn't it?

As such, when it starts to have particules in its flow, itll become conductive over time right?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would think the tubes should be designed to not corrode over time since they're designed for water. Otherwise I'd imagine that would be a quality issue and I'd be disappointed.

Rusted/corroded metal is basically "iron oxide", which is a chemical reaction between iron (one of two elements in carbon steel [iron + carbon = steel]) and oxide (another word for oxygen, which is in air). I'm not sure whether or not that would be electrically conductive.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

But theyre not designed for water in this but the stuff they put inside instead.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as don't have any mixed metals, regular distilled water should be fine in a sealed system.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Possibly meaning that the water might conduct heat faster than thermal paste (even though thermal paste may theoretically have higher "thermal conductivity") because water can travel faster through the tubes than thermal paste.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Has anyone ever tried putting thermal paste in a water-cooling loop?

Not that I'm aware of, and it might clog up over time and result in shorter lifespan of the cooler.

Thermal paste conducts heat, right? that's the whole point of it. So would it be crazy to assume a thermal-paste-based loop would provide better temps? Obviously something would have to be mixed with it (it ain't called paste for nothing) in order to make it flow.

I would imagine it would have to be mixed with something other than just plain water so that it wouldn't be sticky.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The big issues which thermal paste would have are: It is very viscous vs water, so it will be hard to move around the loop and also the heat capacity of the thermal paste will be much lower than water per gram put in, so it is going to be less efficient.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube