add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What Psu to get ???

Bera
  • 40 months ago

After looking at many options , I still havent made a choice . When I was asking on Tomshardware , many recommended the Seasonic 520w full modular psu . Now , when I asked here , more convincing (with some actuall proof) people showed me that the corsair cm550x would be better (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na) . I'm still afraid of the on going stigma which corsair psus have . So , good or not ? Any psu i should consider ? Sadly , evga's ones cost a lot here in Europe ..

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

PSU advice on Toms is a joke most of the time since they use that awful tier list most of the time. The CXM is a objectively better unit. Those people that say Corsair PSU's aren't good are just stupid since brand means NOTHING when it comes to PSU's. Get the CXM.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Well , how i said . You guys did mostly convince me .I just wanted to ask about it one more time before I pull the trigger and buy it . Btw , should i maybe look a little higher , to the rm series , or other better ones ? If i buy a psu , i might aswell just get a good one and not upgrade it for a long time . Maybe higher wattage .. dunno . I want to do some custom water cooling in the future (thats why i bought the define s) for both cpu and 1 gpu (cause sli isnt that worth IMO , unless I buy like 2 1080 , which is probably never going to happen) , so maybe I should spend a little more ? What do you say ?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still afraid of the on going stigma which corsair psus have .

Why? Corsair has some bad PSUs, so do (almost) all of the other brands. Just because a PSU is Corsair branded and Corsair happens to make some other PSUs that are mediocre doesn't mean the particular PSU is anyhow bad or mediocre.

So , good or not ? Any psu i should consider ?

The Corsair CX550M is part of the newer, updated Corsair CXM series of power supplies and is a good choice.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thx . I ll buy it then . Hope i wont get dissapointed by it . Btw , should i consider higher psus like rmx series ? Any benefit from getting one ?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

You should definitely consider higher end PSUs if you have enough money to spend on them, but if you don't, the CX550M is a perfectly suitable budget PSU.

Just keep in mind that any PSU can be a lemon, but if it is defective then you should be able to RMA it back to Corsair as long as you purchased it new.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally would choose corsair because I trust it more than Seasonic, but I don't have a professional opinion.

I agree with your choice about the specific Corsair PSU versus the specific SeaSonic PSU, but the thing is...

....Some of Corsair's worst PSUs are worse that SeaSonic's. And SeaSonic is an OEM, Corsair is not. And also, many Corsair PSUs are actually manufactured by SeaSonic. So Corsair can't be more reputable or better than SeaSonic when they manufacture a lot of Corsair's units, besides the fact that many if not most of Corsair's units are CWT manufactured (which is also good these days).

But that one long paragraph I just wrote above might have caused some confusion, so I'll just put it in one sentence.

Both of them have good and mediocre PSUs, and SeaSonic is generally a good and reputable PSU OEM, and neither of them is necessarily better than the other one as a whole.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

And also, many Corsair PSUs are actually manufactured by SeaSonic.

Only two... :D

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess. It's a bit too late to edit my comment now.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

And also, many Corsair PSUs are actually manufactured by SeaSonic. So Corsair can't be more reputable or better than SeaSonic when they manufacture a lot of Corsair's units

The only SeaSonic made Corsair branded PSUs that you can still buy new are the AX760 and AX860, so not as many as you make it sound.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess. It's a bit too late to edit my comment now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube