add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first build, need recommendations

Maze4135

37 months ago

Hello experts! I finally reached 1000€ goal (+-100€) to build my first pc! Let's start by telling you that I am a computer enthusiast, I use a lot Linux where I play with virtual machines and some programming. I also like to play games but it's not important to run them all at ultra quality, still want to play some future games though. I also use some CAD programs under windows. It will be my first look at overclocking, nothing extreme is needed :) I definitively want a solid computer that runs well and that should last some years.

What do you think about this config? http://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/Maze4135/saved/hNnLkL

I have some doubts about the motherboard and the ram in particular, I'm not an expert so I just read some reviews here and there but I really cannot decide on my own!

Thanks for your time, thats a great community I'm discovering here :)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Maze4135, Overall looks like a decent enough build. Question 1 though is are you going to overclock? if not or you never intend to, then you really dont need the 6700k and a z170 motherboard. save a few $$ and get the 6700 with a B150 or H170 motherboard. Of course if you are going to overclock then yes - great options. If you dont need the overclocking options the money you save you can put into perhaps getting 6GB version of the GTX1060, which will last you longer.

VM's and probably CAD too like RAM, so 16GB should be fine for now. 2400Mhz is fine also - you really wont see a huge difference between 2400Mhz and 3000Mhz (not noticeable anyway). You can always add more RAM later anyway.

Personally i would look at the standard 6700 CPU, with a B150 or H170 board (you dont need Z170 unless overclocking or SLI etc) That will save you enough money to upgrade to the 6GB GTX1060, and then you should be good to go. If you do plan on overclocking then i would probably keep your choices the same - the CPU will be important for your CAD and VM's. :-)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube