add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
razz_

37 months ago

What do you guys think of this build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $190.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $29.90 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $144.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $78.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Xtreme Gaming Video Card $275.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $219.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $139.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1490.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-16 23:41 EST-0500

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Why have you gone for the Z170? Isn't it for overclocking? Your CPU is non-K so you're probably better off saving on a cheaper motherboard. If money isn't a problem though then go for it. Speaking of motherboards, if you ever have to replace your motherboard (if it dies, you want to upgrade etc) you WILL have to buy Windows again as you have the OEM version.

Otherwise, nice storage with that SSD and that's a good graphics card from what I hear :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What windows would you recommend then? I'm not familiar with what OEM is and all that

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Just the standard Win10 or whatever version you like the most. OEM is for people who prebuild PCs for others to buy, and the version of Windows is tied to your motherboard. The normal Windows iss attached to your Microsoft Account so you can change up your system as much as you like :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks for the heads up!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Do the standard windows cost more than the OEMs, and if so, are they worth the price?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

If you ever upgrade your mobo, definitely.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

The 6500 can't be overclocked, so having an aftermarket cooler is useless. The stock one will do fine. And while the Z170 chipset does have various benefits aside from just allowing you to overclock the K-sku chips, you wouldn't really be able to take advantage of those benefits anyway. In order to get the best value, you should either:

-Switch the CPU to an i5 6600K, or

-Remove the CPU cooler and choose a cheaper motherboard (leave processor alone)

Other than that, it is a very good build

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I chose the aftermarket cooler and the Z170 board so that in the future I'd be able to upgrade to a Skylake or Kaby Lake i5-K processor without having to buy a new one. Is that a bad idea?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, if that's your plan, then go ahead. It's not a bad plan by any means

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube