add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

489watts maximum output on a 500w supply

Dbake
  • 41 months ago

My power supply is in my build http://pcpartpicker.com/b/CHsJ7P

I was wondering if upgrading to a R9 Fury would be a bad idea with my current psu.

Upgrading the GPU in my current build will bring maximum wattage of everything to 489w/500w based on PCpartpickers calculator.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

The rule that my friend told me when buying a psu is to make sure it goes at least 60 watts over what you need so if your psu is 500 w and your build will be 489w/500w i think you should also upgrade your psu because it could stuff up sometimes. I made that mistake haha.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

489w is maximum output the system will ever reach i believe with overclocks and such.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

489w is the TDP rating of the system.

If you overclock the CPU at all (which you pretty much have to in order to get decent performance out of the 6300 anymore), that number can increase by as much as 80w.

Same goes for overclocking the GPU any amount.

You're going to want to upgrade the power supply.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

So should I not buy the Fury and go for the 1060 if I don't wanna spend extra to upgrade the psu?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you're running 1080p, I think going for the 1060 is a safer choice overall since it offers enough gaming power without being as big of an investment.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube