add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice and recommendation on a i7 6800k build

sylvaing

37 months ago

Hi guys (sorry for possible grammar mistakes I live in the US but I am french),

I am trying to build my first PC that will handle quite a lot and for the upcoming years. This website (and others of course) has realy helped me understand the basics and subtilities. I plan to do (on a an amateur level) some 4k video editing, photo editing, illustrator and why not a few games from time to time ;)

I was at first interested by the 5k Imacs and was waiting to see a new one at their last conference, but nothing showed and I really didn't like the path they are heading to with their new ranges of macbooks.

Still my wife will also use the computer and it will be in the living room therefore I need something reliable, quiet and don't care about any fancy leds. I will probably try to hide it as much as possible. Will probably not overclock it, at least not yet.

Black Friday should definetely help to lower some prices, on the SSD ( 69dol) and the CPU (60dol) and we will see about the rest.

So for now, here's what I have come up with : http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bfsyVY Did I make any mistake?

Now I need to find: - a case, not too expensive, real quiet and kind of classy or discrete - a power supply, no clue at all - a monitor between 24 and 27inch and 4k would be great depending on the price. Stupid question but do i need 4k monitor to edit 4k videos? - keyboard and mouse shouldn't be a problem.

More stupid questions : what about wifi?

Any stuff I am missing there ?

Thank you soooo much guys ! I'll post pictures of the build and the final desktop.

Sylvain

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I can $1700 with a very solid build, wiuld that be okay?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Would that include the monitor ?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $379.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $223.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $303.38 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $259.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Jet
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.70 @ My Choice Software
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans $24.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $219.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1769.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-19 07:28 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Switch the monitor for a higher resolution if you want, or be cheesy and just use a 1440p custom resolution for the monitor.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot Mark, i still think i will stay on the 6800K, and hopefully I will find a good 4k monitor deal for Black Friday.

The Mid-Tower you linked seems really nice especially because of it's price range. Could there be any issue of size being a Mid-Tower? Is it quiet? Would it be compatible with the X99 mobo?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

If you go for X99, check out taichi, just got one, solid board and very good price!

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well thanks :)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I kind of know, but if it takes a little more time it's ok, it's not professional editing. And damn prices go up quite fast !

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube