add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ironf15t

37 months ago

Ok folks, this is my current system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £73.48 @ BT Shop
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard £67.21 @ Amazon UK
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £46.95 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £43.88 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card -
Case Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case £38.07 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply -
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter £9.32 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor £109.98 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £388.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 19:31 GMT+0000

I mainly just play runescape, and the game runs ok, but lags in high settings :( I would like to try gta 5 on the new build with some mods etc

I kinda plan to just swap out the mobo, graphics card (maybe the 480?) and cpu, thinking an i3 6100 or an i5.

Budget : Probs like £400ish :)

oh and im in the uk :) Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Couple of options here for you 1.pick up an i5 6600 (200) lga1151 mobo (70) 8gb ram (60) and a 240gb ssd (70) 2. New video card (gtx1060 6gb or a amd480) and an ssd

Both will make improvements but for more instant satisfaction a new video card an an ssd willbe better for gaming. A new cpu will set you up better for a future upgrade however the new breed of intel cpus are round the corner as are the amd's so maybe worth waiting for those. It may be worth waiting cash ready to go for black friday in a weeks or so you may be able to pick up a bundle for a bargain?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, and good points there.

I suppose i could pick up the new card and see what happens with the new cpus.

Would the cards be ok to run with my 860k?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Even though your cpu is starting to age a bit, you should be able to overclock it a little at least to squeeze a bit more performance if you need to. Now from what i understand Runescape is a fairly CPU intensive game, so stepping down to a dual core like the i3 may not be the best bet.

Any video card will work with what you have. Obviously if you were to get something like a 1080 you're not going to get the performance because of the cpu.

Looking at Toms Hardware, they still recommend the 860K as a capable little processor http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

Personally, i would upgrade the graphics and install an ssd. do a small overclock on the 860K just to get a bit of extra juice. Then go for a cpu/mobo/ram update in 6-12 months, once the new Intel and AMD have been out for a bit, and prices of Skylake should come down.

For just over 400 quid, take a look at an EVGA GTX1060 6GB FTW (106.30 from amazon uk) and you can pick up a crucial mx300 525GB SSD for 106.30, also from amazon uk.

If you prefer AMD cards, you can go 480 or 390X in similar price range - 390x does outperform 480 in raw performance but is noisier, draws more power and generally less efficient. bear in mind though that 1060 6gb beats both of those in most games.

Alternatively, keep your eyes peeled next week on black friday for deals.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thankyou!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Going with an Skylake i5 and a B150 or H170 motherboard if you are not going to OC might be the best option. If not, go with an i3 and upgrade later. RX 480 or GTX 1060 for the GPU. Going with Skylake, change your RAM to DDR4.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i probably wont OC, stock would most likely be fine for me :) Would the ram be a needed purchase right away?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Can't use DDR3 on Skylake as it will surely shorten the lifespan of the CPU and probably won't work on the motherboard.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhhh i got ya :)

Would the i3 + rx 480 be a good pairing?

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube