add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5 6500 + gtx 1070 OR i5 6600k + 1060

TheKnightsofRen

37 months ago

Hey guys ok this is my final opinions/decision making until i finally buy the parts. As the title suggests im looking for opinions and possibly a reason behind your choice whether i should get:

• i5 6500 w/ gtx 1070 (option 1) OR
  • i5 6600k w/ 1060(option 2)

I am looking to build this pc ideally before christmas. I should mention im relatively new to this whole pc gaming/build so apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge and questions. Also im open to getting an intel xeon v3 family as it was also recommended but i am a bit sceptical.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

It depends on your monitor. If you have a 1440p monitor, then go with option 1 and if you have a 1080p monitor then go with option 2.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Got a AOC 23' IPS monitor looks like option 2, though I will be looking to upgrade it in the near future . I was told at 1440 the 1060 can get OK fps (45-60), shouldve mentioned earlier i was hoping to get the ROG strix gtx 1060 for £310 seems good on current games and hopefully will prove ok in the future.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Would do option 1 for Gaming especially if 1440p is in your future.

Most games are more GPU dependant and the few that do call on the CPU will still do just fine on the i5 6500..

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. I recently checked out the system requirements i think it was on steam for dishonored 2 ( really enjoyed the first game) and it was quite cpu demanding, ideal for the i5 6600k something with regards to clock speed didnt into it because i have no knowledge in that area. Sorry to ask but is an i5 6500 suited for gaming as well as light data/statistical analysis?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

From a Quick Read about R and SAS you might be looking at an i7-6700 with 16GB of Ram and the GTX 1060 6G Grin..

Just depends on How much of the Data/Stat work you are doing, and how quick you want it to finish.. And if you plan to put parallel processing to work to take advantage of more threads. If it truly is just a bit you do from time to time, and speed isn't a huge Factor, I would still go with the i5-6500 and the GTX 1070. Dishonored 2 will run just fine on the i5-6500..

When you get together a full parts list make sure to post it. I would like to have a look over it and see how you are doing..

Hope this Helps !

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $191.91 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $92.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.97 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $389.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $46.97 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1015.79
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $980.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 20:30 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion, I will update you on the final list if thats ok by pm? Some of these statistical analysis may require downloading 3-4 programs which are computationally demanding from experience with uni standard pcs and my mac. After saying this Im convincing myself more and more of the i7 hmmm damn the 1060 not supporting sli.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube