add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How many operating systems could I install on one HDD?

Morzy
  • 42 months ago

Meaning.. If I wanted to learn the different linux distros, could I dual boot a bunch from a single 1tb HDD and, say, assign them each 100gb of space?

I'm not sure how they all operate, I've only tried arch and i know during the process I assihn the OS a partrition that could be just 100gb.

Or is dual booting limited to two OS's on a single drive? <.<

Thanks.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're using a GUID Partition Table instead of Master boot record, quite a lot. Just make more partitions.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I am not at all familiar wuth those programs. XD Before I only reduced the space on my win7 partrition to make room.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I would suggest making one partition for your home directory and maybe another for swap and one for each Linux OS you're going to install. When you install a Linux OS, just make sure it knows where the home directory partition is.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so this is unfamiliar to me. I kow some like to have a swap, home AND 3rd(where linux is installed, i think?) partrition. However the video I followed before guided me to only having two partritions BUT just thinking about this leaves me to assume 3 partritions is better for multiple OS's. Is this correct?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so this is unfamiliar to me. I know some like to have a swap, home AND 3rd (where linux is installed, i think?) partition. However the video I followed before guided me to only having two partitions BUT just thinking about this leaves me to assume 3 partitions is better for multiple OS's. Is this correct?

It keeps things from getting duplicated mostly.

Windows needs an awful UEFI system to boot from GUID partition table drives, and master boot record drives are limited to only four primary partitions.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Another thing to note: If you have plenty of ram (more than 4GB) and you're not doing anything too memory intensive you probably don't need a swap partiton. That said, a swap partition usually doesn't hurt to have.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You can create many partitions on your HDD for different operating systems, and if you use partitions then you should be able to have as many operating systems on your HDD as it can store (as far as capacity, size).

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

But will boot loaders such as grub conflict with others? Or will the loader give you a choice out of all of the systems on the HDD?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be fine.

• 42 months ago
  • 0 points

<.<.. So convincing!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

But will boot loaders such as grub conflict with others? Or will the loader give you a choice out of all of the systems on the HDD?

If MS Windows's boot loader was the most recently installed/updated boot loader, then you will only get Microsoft products on your boot menu. If grub was the most recently installed/updated boot loader, you should get any Windows, OS X, Linux, *BSD, etc systems on your boot menu.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, i saw this while doing arch. very nice of grub to include windows and sucky of microsoft to not include others

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube