add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is the Corsair RM-750 worth it?

mattack98
  • 76 months ago

Hi! I'm building my first PC and was wondering if it was worth it to spend $90 more on the RM-750 over a normal silverstone strider plus 600w. I had originally chosen the RM-750 because it was really quiet (super quiet) but now I am questioning the benefit from it. Additionally, I had thought 750w was my sweet spot for if I wanted to SLI the 770's but I am now thinking 600w will be fine and can get another psu if I want to SLI.

The bottom line is: RM-750: quiet and able to SLI strider: still quiet (not as quiet) but $90 cheaper and not able to SLI

I live in Australia If you were wondering why the prices where weird.

I would really like to hear your opinions please.

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I say yes. Especially if you are going to sli. The silverstone is 80+ I believe and the rm750 is 80+ gold. 600w doesn't give you much headroom either. I just picked up an rm750 for my build too

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the silverstone is gold but they couldn't be certain everyone would be gold so the official rate is silver. I do agree with the headroom though but is it worth the extra $90?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Im sorry it is actually bronze. I was thinking of the silverstone 750w ratings etc.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you live in australia i would have gone for a cheaper 750w. Although the rm750 is fantastic its price to performance ratio is not justifiable in your area. I personally love the features that come with this power supply and would gladly pay extra but if you can live without them then get a cheaper one it's up to you. Just remember to get a 750w if you plan to sli to be safe. 600w would be extremely close

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with you. If I were to SLI I would upgrade my power supply. It uses 643w to SLI (I already worked it out). Are there any 750w power supplies you suggest? the silverstone strider plus 750w is $150 while rm-750 is $190.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Seasonics are good but many have had a problem with coil whine recently. The rm750 is the way to go! Silent, nice cables, 5 year warranty, made specifically to not have coil wine, and you can use corsair link if you want (which I don't lol)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I agree! Thank you very much for your input

• 76 months ago
  • 0 points

If required to select between the two listed, I vote for the Silverstone. Negative review of the Corsair: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/#.UoPM-D93vKs

Keep in mind that Corsair uses various OEM for their power supplies.

I generally use Seasonic power supplies.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow that review was so negative of the product! haha and from reading I think the only thing that was bad about it was that it didn't work? I'm sure we all get that one product that doesn't work, it happens. You said you like seasonic power supplies, are there any that are 750w and as good or beter than the rm-750 from seasonic? I really liked the braided cables from the rm.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Read the end of the article... Corsair fixed all the issues and it passed. Not to mention the stress tests are very severe and you would probably never put that much strain on the psu

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I was reading other reviews (TechPowerUp) and they didn't say any one those things. I think I might go for the RM-750 because it is supper silent and has braided cables.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube