add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Parts list with a couple of questions

youne

37 months ago

Note: Prices below are in $CAD (ie. 35%ish more than $USD.)

I'm at 5 years in my current PC aside from my card which got upgrade to a GTX980 (almost 2 years ago now even for that, wow!)

I am planning on re-using the graphics card as well as a newer SSD I have. Can you guys peruse/critique my parts list a little bit? I used to be able to rattle off the "best of" in any given category no matter what, but life catches up and I can't keep up like I used to. For example, why does ASUS have 29487298 boards for the same chipset? Things like that.

A couple of questions I would like answered: I have an OCZ Max IOPS drive from 5 years ago that my OS is installed on (256GB) and a Samsung 850 (500GB) that I keep my games on. I am doing an M2 drive on the new build - does it make sense to put the OS/primary apps on that drive, or games? (I don't know if I can fit both and I'm a bit OCD about keeping them separate.)

2nd - I am moving from an i7-2600K. I've read the jump in performance a person gets isn't massive, but do you think with the new proc I should consider a 2nd GTX 980 for SLI as well? (perhaps down the road?)

And lastly - should a person wait for Kaby Lake? Or would it make more sense to see what black Friday/cyber Monday deals I could get on these items and buy now?

Anyway your feedback is appreciate, I am humming with excitement! Part of me almost misses DIP switches, Slave/Master jumpers, IRQ Assignments...almost.

I should mention: I've picked a couple things (NZXT case, Kingston Memory, ASUS Mobo) on a blend of review as well as current experience. I have an NZXT Phantom case currently, but will probably try to sell it and most of the components once I build my new machine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $399.99 @ Memory Express
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $95.99 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $273.98 @ DirectCanada
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $114.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $409.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case NZXT H440 (Matte Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case $144.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ NCIX
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1629.92
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1609.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-18 22:24 EST-0500

EDIT: I'm getting the vibe people aren't noticing these prices are $CAD, not USD.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.98 @ DirectCanada
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $203.12 @ Amazon Canada
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $469.99 @ NCIX
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ NCIX
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $549.99 @ NCIX
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case $139.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.98 @ NCIX
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2053.02
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $2013.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-18 23:24 EST-0500
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that's not a bad idea on the CPU. I may do some reseach on the Z270 features My understanding is Kaby got pushed out until next year now. For Mobo, I have the perception ASRock is a bit of a lower quality brand (I used to think it was an ASUS knock off or cheaper company). That was moons ago though, is that no longer the case?

Thanks for the tip on the SSD. I've actually had an 850W powersupply for like 7 years, so was just going like for like. (If you thought it was overkill now, wooh doggy.)

Thanks again!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're basing that of the wccftech article -

Update [10/4/2016]: Some readers have pointed out something concerning about the benchmark in question. We were using this verified result of the Core i7 6700k as a baseline to compare the new results against. As you can see, it shows a single core score of 4300 and a multi core score of 16756, which gave the percentage figures of 40% and 20% respectively. Unfortunately, however, there is a lot of inconsistency in the scores reported by this benchmark and not all results are alike. The biggest issue is that the clock speed readings appear to be read completely wrong. I was able to find Core i7 6700k multi core scores as low as 11000 and as high as 22000 at seemingly the same clocks. This means that analysing the performance gains depicted in this particular leak gets very difficult without injecting significant subjective opinion, which is why I have decided to edit out the percentage gains from the headline. I apologise for the err on my part in not conducting the necessary due diligence.

As I understand it they're a rumour mill anyway so pinch of salt and all that.

Previous gens performance gains have been around 10% iirc.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, I'm not anti-hope but I don't think they're gonna provide a gen over gen bump like that unless amd force them into it, fingers crossed for the zen reviews! :D

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I would honestly be more concerned about the 270 chipset for the sweet new Optane ability than CPU really....so I may have to wait for Kaby Lake just to get new boards too.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Due in the new year after announcement at ces I think so you don't have all that long to wait :D

850w is definite overkill for a single gpu build these days imo, and I would prolly upgrade the gpu when necessary rather than going sli, not every game benefits so you get more consistent performance from a more powerful single card, a 1180/ti will prolly be a good match for sli'd 980s anyway I would think, tho utility of a powerful card like that depends on your monitor config too ofc.

m2 doesn't have a real world loading speed advantage btw, a larger sata3 ssd is better value imo.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it'd be nice... next year should be interesting whatever happens! :D [hopefully]

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking people don't notice my post is in $CAD.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube