add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Just need help with what to put on this mother board

Muddywater

37 months ago

Old computer just trying to upgrade it for cs go and league of legends maybe some other games A So i already got some single-core and a fan I want 8 gb of ram dont know if i should get the 533 667 or 800 stuff Also want a new graphics card thats Can u guys help me put and find stuff thats compatible and good for this motherboard Also need a 500 gb hardrive And whatver windows would be best im thinking vista xp or 7 but dont know if it should be 32 or 64 bit or what BUDGET: No more than 300$USD MOTHERBOARD: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/P6N_SLI.html#hero-specification

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor $74.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 Memory $24.00 @ Amazon
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $32.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $89.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $46.97 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $307.95
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $267.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-20 05:01 EST-0500

In all honesty, this will probably play LoL at lowest settings, and getting even 5GB sticks of DDR2 RAM is almost impossible. The RAM chosen is the fastest your mobo can handle. I didn't include Win7 or anything in there because you can play LoL and CSGO on a Linux distro like Mint (which is free, the main thing), albeit with a little tweaking for LoL. That graphics card is the most expensiveii part of this, not even sure if it's compatible but you'll be able to use it again in a future build. Also a quality PSU. (If anyone finds some incompatibilities just reply and I can fix it up).

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for this But ... 1. I got a 650 watt power supply 2. I thought the most ram i could have was 8 gb cause the max memory says 8gb, or is the max memory the graphics card and ram combined? 3. This is my current grapics card: evga geforce 8800 gts (it ran league of legends at 50-60 fps for the most part and also ran hearthstone but couldnt run cs:go i dont know if it was the graphics card fault or RAM or what) if this helps you find a graphics card that is compatible that would be treat becuase i sont really want to buy one and nkt be able to use it 4. Would i need a new fan for that core because im least familiar with computer cores and how do install them my current core is a single core amd i just got the fan rigjt on top of it

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Didn't know you already had a power supply. If it's not exploding running your computer well at the moment, keep it and save some money :)

2. The most RAM you can have is 8GB, and I thought it only had two slots. Feel free to buy the RAM in my list twice to get your desired 8GB.

3. Don't quote me on this one, but the RX 460 *should * be compatible with the PCI-E x16 on you mobo.

4. If you already have a fan that sits over your CPU (it's called a CPU cooler) you should be fine to use that again. To install the new CPU simply flick out your old one, align your new one and pop it in. Search up some videos if you aren't sure about it.

Extra: With the extra money from not having to buy a PSU, you could probably get a nice new case and fans to bling up your PC :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Extra: how hard is it to move a motherboard and power supply, wont i need some thermal past to redo the power supply, and also maybe for the core and the fan?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if i keep it in the old case will i need thermal paste for the core and the fan?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thermal paste for the PSU? The CPU might come with thermal paste to put on it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube