add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I save money on this?

exinator

37 months ago

Are there any components that can be switched out for cheaper parts without sacrificing quality? I'm spending a lot, probably more than any single purchase in my life, so I just want to be sure this is optimal. I have selected this specific CPU and video card because I think they'll give me the best overlock when the time comes for that (probably 2 - 3 years). If I could do as well using different hardware I'm very much welcome to suggestions!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £209.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £29.98 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £129.99 @ Ebuyer
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £67.99 @ Novatech
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £91.98 @ Ebuyer
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card £656.99 @ Ebuyer
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £95.99 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £79.48 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1362.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-20 23:57 GMT+0000

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Might want to do a little bit more research on this, but you could probably downgrade the 1080 to a 1070, get a bigger SSD and a budget bulk storage HDD. Otherwise I think you've done a great job on this!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for responding!

I did originally have a 500GB SSD in, but lowered it in the interests of saving money. I can buy a HDD later down the line.

I actually started this build with the intent of just having a 1060 6GB card, but then I thought "what if I spent more?". So I upgraded to the 1070 (Asus Dual). Then I was like "what if I spent even more?!"

Could I ask you to help me out deciding which is best of the 1070 vs. 1080?

Maybe it'd help to explain why I'm doing this build. I need this to last me for four years. My current system was built in 2011 and only this year have I finally found games it can't run. What I want to do with this system is build a PC that will last me for the same 5 years that my old one did. I would rather spend the extra money on a 1080 now if it will get me one more year of use than a 1070 might.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really an expert in the GPU area, but I'm pretty sure that you won't really notice a massive difference in FPS in gaming between the 1070 and 1080. If you were going to be rendering for 5 years, I'd definitely say go for the 1080. The difference I'm talking about a couple FPS or lowering one of your settings to High instead of Very High (I think, maybe do some extra research). In all honesty, within the next 4 years you could probably sell the 1070 and pick up a few-month-old 1080 if necessary.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube