add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I really need help with a descision

GamingX10

37 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/G7ww7h

I am going to be using this rig for mostly open world games. (Skyrim, mafia 3, fallout 4, witcher 3 etc.) I have been going back and forth between the idea of going with a 1060 instead of 1070, and use the money I save there to upgrade parts like my motherboard, more storage, CPU mostly. In your opinion, which would be the better idea, sticking with the 1070 and keeping the system as is, or getting a 1060 and upgrading other parts? Right now i'm leaning towards the 1070 option. P.S. yes, i know I don't need 16 gigs of ram, but its only about $20 more, and saves me from upgrading in the future P.P.S. I have some extra hard drives already, but only about 500 gigs worth, which is why they're is no hard drive, but also a reason i'm considering the 1060 option.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, you could opt for the MSI H110M Gaming mATX board at $62.89 (with rebate) which would save you a bit and it keeps with the black/red theme you seem to have, and you could put that toward getting a bigger (480GB) SSD. Personally i'd stick with the 1070 if you can, it will give you more longevity - 1060 6GB will still be good but you may find you have to upgrade it sooner than a 1070.
For RAM yes if its only $20 more then you may as well. To save more money its worth doing some hunting this week, especially in the US with the black friday/cyber monday sales, and you may be able to pick up a spare hard drive or even a 1070 if you're lucky for a good price. Cases too usually get decent sales

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Kinda depends on your monitor?

If you have 1080p/60hz then a 1060 is fine for 99% of games atm I think, 3gig model even if you need to trim budget.

Or check their original 1060 review for a slightly different selection of games

FWIW I tend to favour a gold rated psu as while that costs more initially you save in the long run via a cheaper electricity bill

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube