add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My 1st build idea. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Davidmurphey

37 months ago

Hello, I've just gotten into PC building and have components for my first one. Me being a first-timer, of course i'm going to ask a lot of questions, one of them being is my set-up good for what I plan to use it for? For this computer, the main things I will be doing is gaming and composing music from FL Studio. I'd like to play high-end games like Dishonored II and Skyrim remastered on medium to high graphics with a formidable frame rate. I don't plan on overclocking or doing anything other than letting the parts run the way they are supposed to, but I would like that to be an option later on once I get used to the device. I specifically am not very knowledgeable on PSU's and i'm not sure if mine is good or the right one for my system. Anything that's cheaper but still has the same specs and performance I would really like to know about, as well as bottle necking if any. I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice, regardless of knowledge, as most of you are probably more knowledgeable than I either way. (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Lg3gQV)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Change the cpu to an i3 6100 because its newer and supports new DDR4 memory, it also outperforms the fx in every situation. also change the 2tb seagate hdd to an 1Tb wdd hdd and add an ssd.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the load time that significant? because i'd rather not add more cost onto this setup I already have, the 250 gig SSD costs around $95, with the HDD adding on another $50. is the increased speed on the SSD worth the $50 extra compared to how fast the hybrid state would perform? I'd also rather not sway from AMD, as i'd have to switch motherboards again, what about this AMD processor? Could this do better here? AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't go for the 95 dollar ssd haha. Just go for a simple PNY one.. It'll help alot and its definately worth it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I will, thanks a ton for your help! :)

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Pretty much can agree with valrykie here. I reordered your parts list with a i3-6100T and a few other bits too, and it comes out at $1056

CPU | Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor | $104.99 @ Newegg CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler | $19.99 @ Newegg Motherboard | ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $37.98 @ Newegg Memory | Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory | $64.99 @ Newegg Storage | Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $63.88 @ OutletPC Storage | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $48.89 @ OutletPC Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card | $259.99 @ B&H Case | be quiet! Silent Base 800 (Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case | $114.99 @ NCIX US Power Supply | SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply | $44.99 @ Newegg Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit | $28.09 Monitor | Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor | $125.12 @ Amazon Keyboard | Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard | $142.99 @ Best Buy

Total (before mail-in rebates) $1091.89
Total $1056.89

To have the ability to delve in to overclocking later, you would ideally need a K series processor and (right now anyway) a Z170 chipset motherboard. Of course, these come at a premium, which would push your costs up quite considerably.

CPU - I went with a i3-6100T, which is dual core, but if you were able to put the $100 saving toward a better one, perhaps go for a quad core 6500.

Motherboard - Went with this because its cheap and it will do everything you need it to do - no need to spend $$$ if you dont need overclocking or 100's of drives etc

Memory - 16GB because you say you want to compose music - not familiar with FL studio, but i have a dedicated machine for Cubase which runs 16GB and if you use any virtual instruments, the more memory the better. Just picked the cheapest 16GB, and 16GB will be plenty for gaming.

Storage - 240GB SSD, for speed and 1 1TB normal hard drive.

PSU - changed this out to something a little more reliable - been using seasonic for years and they have never let me down. plus its semi modular which will help some with cable management

Didnt change anything else, but that comes in $100 under your original list, and will perform better - you could either save the $100, or use that to upgrade 1) the CPU to a i5-6500, or 2) a bigger, 24" monitor. If you wanted to save more money you could look at a different case of course, but thats just personal preference

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for this review! :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah i didn't realise you already have the motherboard! In that case then, yes you may as well stick with AMD, no point in pushing the costs up needlessly. The FX-8350 will do you fine,but saying that its also worth looking at the FX6350 too - being an unlocked processor you should be able to clock it for more performance at a later date.

If youre able to find some for a good price in the sales this week, worth getting some 1866Mhz DDR3 ram, as AMD natively supports it. Otherwise 1600Mhz will be just fine.

As for SSD's - yes there can be a big difference - best thing to do is have your system on the ssd, and some core programs/games you use most, and put the rest on the hdd. I wouldnt go back to HDD for main drive now - i have SSD's in all my machines.

An SSHD is a halfway house between HDD and SSD - with SSD prices so cheap right now, theres just no point in not buying an SSD. The hybrid performance is more akin to HDD than SSD because at its core its still a mechanical drive, but just has some SSD features.

take a look and see what you can get cheap in the sales this week.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I haven't bought anything just yet. the hassle I was referring to was going through the search bar again in search for a motherboard based off of price and rating (you can see how that worked out, lol. I was about to spend about $40 more than I actually needed to.) Anyways,so you know if there will be any electrical interference with this motherboard? No biggie if there is or if you don't know, an external converter costs about $20 and I can buy it after the fact. I will be getting the quad core 6500, as I have a monitor here already that I didn't even notice. Turns out I can use my flatscreen as a monitor as long as my graphics card has an hdmi, which is does (score). that takes off $110. And if i'm still having trouble meeting ends I can always drop the keyboard and just take one from somebodies garage, with their permission of course. Do you think i'd have any problems using my flat screen as a monitor?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

No you shouldnt have any issues using your flatscreen. I use a tv on my htpc no issue.

Not sure why you would get electrical interference. Never had an issue with that. Providing you have a decent power supply in the pc that should provide all the conversion and protection on your source from the wall.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all your help Lazirus, I greatly appreciate it, and i'm glad you took the time out of your day to help a fellow PC user out. Thanks a ton! :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube