add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's this mark on my PSU? Also, some advice needed

osirhc
  • 40 months ago

This is my second build that I'm transplanting into a bigger case so I can install a GPU. I also needed a new PSU, so I grabbed one from a Newegg mobile deal for $16 (after MIB of course). Now here is my problem, upon inspecting the 24 pin power I noticed this weird white substance on the last two pins. Is this corrosion? Should I sent it back to Newegg? (Link to Google Drive folder with images at bottom).

Depending on the answer to that question the following questions may be moot. But assuming the PSU is otherwise fine, I need some advice when it comes to supplemental power. My PSU has an 8 pin CPU power cable, however my motherboard only requires a 4 pin, and there's only a 4 pin header on my board. Now it looks like I'd have enough space to plug in just half of that 8 pin cable, but is this safe? The 8 pin cable does not come apart into two 4 pin cables.

Lastly, my other problem (besides being cheap and not buying a non-modular PSU) is I have two cables both with two adaptors for providing power to SSD/HDD/ODD, and I have one of each. Even though the case I'm using is small, I don't see anyway, short of just leaving my SSD hanging in the case from the power cable, to power my SSD boot drive, my storage HDD, and my ODD. Furthermore, the power connectors are angled at 90 degrees the opposite direction of what I would need it to be. On top of all these other problems I'm having, I'm starting to wonder who the hell designs these power supplies at Corsair. I'm also thinking I should probably stop being cheap and just buy a modular PSU. Or maybe just a better PSU.

Images: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzmIkbstHAJDTmdMMkZIdHljbU0

I can take better pictures and additional pictures too if you need to get a better look at what I'm working with.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Your 8-pin CPU cable is actually 2 4-pins. It DOES come apart.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

How? It's all one piece with the clip in the middle of the plastic "socket" (for lack of a better term). It doesn't appear that it comes apart

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

the 2 halves should slide apart.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube