add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice on PC gaming parts list.

dumb-old-dad

37 months ago

Ok so here's the deal. I know absolutely next to nothing about pc gaming and my son is interested in it. He currently has a ps4, but wants to do some steam gaming and some stuff like Starcraft and Overwatch. I want to put together an inexpensive rig for him that I can run to his television that he plays ps4 on with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm hoping that the build I have would be sufficient for doing this on what I assume are "medium" settings. Please excuse any kind of pie-in-the-sky ignorance I may have about this, but I'm also hoping this would be a decent basis to do some upgrades to as a birthday gift for him in March so it's a bit more capable. Here's my parts list:

pcpartpicker

To put all this in perspective, the newest game I've played on a PC is command and conquer 2, I'm totally out of my element. Trying to keep this close to $250 so that his whole Christmas isn't tied up in a PC he might get tired of before the end of the year. Could use any help I can get. Thank you!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

you need to fix your link.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry. Link fixed.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BfpVGf

That is about the minimum I would recommend. You'll get a great gaming experience with this build. You're not going to get much for $250. A PSU, Case, Motherboard, RAM will eat up a lot of that budget without even getting to the computer's processor and video card (which are the most important parts of the build).

Here is the absolute cheapest option I could get.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/N8Hn8K

This is $315 dollars and as a result, it has to skimp on RAM and pretty much everything on the the build. The graphics card is still good enough though.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

So now that your link is fixed

That's a pretty unoptimized setup. That CPU is not very good at all, and the has a graphics processor built into the actual CPU, so the cheap card you chose is pretty much useless since it's not much of an improvement.

That power supply is terrible and might fail and ruin your computer, or start it on fire (worst case scenario)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

250 is going to be a really low quality rig I wouldn't recommend any less than 400-500 for a gaming pc.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $57.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus H110M-E/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $36.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.98 @ NCIX US
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 460 2GB Red Dragon Video Card $84.99 @ Newegg
Case Azza Cosmas ATX Mid Tower Case $14.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $29.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $354.71
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $304.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 00:22 EST-0500

Heres the lowest I would go.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey guys I appreciate all the input. I'm just going to wait until his birthday so I can invest $400-500 into something halfway decent and probably spring for a dedicated monitor. I appreciate everyone's help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube