add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC upgrade - shopping for parts - thoughts?

voidopolis

37 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3rNsnn

planning to upgrade my 2ish y/o gaming PC with new guts - looking for some opinions.

• Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card
  • Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

coming from: ASUS Maximus V FORMULA LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.5GHz Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit Sapphire Technology Radeon R9 270X Overclocked 2048MB DDR5

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Should look at a better cooler than the 212 EVO

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I would just upgraded the GPU and wait for the next line of CPUs to come out soon.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought about that - but my plan is to donate my old equipment to my nephew for the Holiday's - he is getting into gaming. Should be a good starting system for him - which is why I'm replacing.

I've looked at the Kaby (Krabby) lake processors and they don't seem to be that big of a step up - but the price decrease will be nice on the existing 6th gen chips will be nice (CNET article - https://www.cnet.com/news/intel-kaby-lake-7th-gen-core-processors-faq-update/) So, I was planning on getting into the new chips, but taking advantage of the price decrease when they release (if they release in time for the holiday...)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

my base concerns: the ASUS MB is decent, but at $200 a little pricey for not having wifi... which still baffles me as to why most PCs come with wifi these days... I've had pretty good luck with ASUS MBs for years - I mostly buy them - and the i5 - I considered using the i7, but was trying to keep some of the $ down. The PC will serve as my primary system - gaming & programming. I think I may be disappointed if I stick with the i5. Although from the looks of it, Kaby Lake processors will still use the LGA1151 socket - meaning that I can move up to that processor and new GPU in a few years.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The i5 should do just fine for Gaming.

Might look at this board:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8rvZxr/asus-z170-pro-gamingaura-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z170-pro-gamingaura

Put the B150 version in my Son's gaming rig and it is very nice..

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I was just looking @ that board actually. And Newegg is running a bundle with the Intel NVMe SSD (256) for $240 which seems attractive. Samsung 950 pro vs. Intel NVMe. I don't doubt the Samsung will be faster, but is it really worth the large delta... hmm.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

MX300 is the best bang for your buck SSD right now

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube