add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Searching for info / help. Upgrading GPU'S in my current pc.

Nubbix2

37 months ago

MY PC Stats. Motherboard - Asus z867-a CPU - Intel i7 4790k 4.0 Ghz RAM - Hyperx Savage 1600hz ddr3 16gb Power Supply unit - Seasonic M12 520w. Not sure about this one but its a 520 watt supply unit. Computer case- NZXT Lexa S (was hard to find rip) GPU - Two Intel GeForce gtx 560 ti running on vsync + sli options.

So i want to upgrade my graphic cards. my 56o's are still fine. My pc can still handle BF1. **** that flickering tho. I can manage GTA V fine. **** even Witcher 3 runs on this pc. But low. low low low graphics. So i started looking around on the web for some help and such. First i saw cool 1070's and 1060's but I'm not sure if they will work. So i thought about a new motherboard. But the new ones are ddr4 and i cant afford buying a new cpu and new ram just to fit in with a new motherboard. So i checked on other Gpus. Most of the older gpus are harder to find, or just simply dont fit. Or atleast from what i read up myself.

My budget is 550 bux (American dollars.) or 500 eur. Can someone recommend me new gpus. Im fine with one new graphic card. But two would be better. (PS. Ones that are still selling, I ain't buyin' that cheap **** from ebay. yes, no old used 780's please. If youre wondering if a new card can be shipped to me i live in Sweden Uppsala.)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

First i saw cool 1070's and 1060's but I'm not sure if they will work.

The interface is the same, they'll slot in fine.

But two would be better.

Generally one higher range card is recommended over 2 weaker cards, more consistent performance across a wider range of games than sli.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

But dont new gpus need new ddr4/5 memories and 8 pin cables? (im sure i have 6 pin slots, i dont know about 8 pin, for power ofc.) Also what about power supply?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU's come with their own ram, ddr5 usually now, and they don't really care what ram you use on your mobo so the ddr3 you have in your build is no problem.

Number of power pins depends on what gpu you get, if it turns out you need a 8pin then you might get a x2 6pin to 8pin converter in the gpu box or like you say further down the thread if you get a new psu then it shouldn't matter.

Whatever psu you have now, cables aside, should have enough watts as your total power draw will drop when you replace the 2 560ti's with either a 1060 or 1070, 1070 has slightly higher draw but even then the site estimate drops from 616w (2x 560ti) to 346w (same build with 1070) or 316w (1060).

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

O ye i was wrong about the power supply unit. it may be a m2 silent pro 620w. Im not sure on this one either but im looking for the papers right now....

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive been using this pc for 3 years now. I bought the case, the motherboard, and the psu from a friend, the rest i bought myself.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I checked with a pc pro, and other people i know, most of them said its fine with a new gpu and a 2 x 6pin -> 8pin cable but i need to check my voltage and watt usage so it will work with the gpu. I will get a gtx 1060 6gb Strix most likely . Anyone knows where to check voltage and stuff like that?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube