add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Making a list and checking it twice.. first time build for holiday gift for my son

jeffet99

36 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm just another first time builder who is hoping to build a system that is great for gaming and also has that "wow" cool look factor. My son seems to like Neon Blue as well. I've based this build off of the "great gaming build" and based on what I've read so far, I'm not inclined to do over-clocking. Anywho, here is my first draft at a build list. I almost forgot to ask, do I need to add a CPU cooler as well? Thanks for any suggestions or changes that I should make.

my pcpartpicker

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $190.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $84.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory -
Storage *Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.00 @ Amazon
Video Card *Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $369.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply *SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $62.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $79.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $249.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1264.82
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1254.82
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-22 23:28 EST-0500

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Very much obliged! Looks like I have more to research. I also live close to a Micro Center, so I'm hoping I can find some deals there as well.

Thanks again, JT

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, I'll be there.. btw, the video card you picked looks ridiculous.. :-)

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Check Microcenter's current prices because they have had the i7-6700k selling at a $60 discount. Their usual price for the i5-6600k is $200 (excluding tax).

Also, since your grandson likes blue, and you're getting a windowed cease, I'd recommend buying 2 of these LED strips:

https://www.amazon.com/Phobya-LED-Flexlight-HighDensity-30cm-LEDs/dp/B005EOC2L2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1479878695&sr=8-4&keywords=phobya+blue+LED

To install them, wipe the surface area with isopropyl alcohol and apply a thin line of glue to the strip. Then install on the interior of the case (top and bottom, or top and side). That sole Amazonian review is really unfair. His problem happens for most LED strips since they use 3M adhesive tape.

With the strips, you don't need additional fans, which aren't bright enough to make the interior glow blue.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks a bunch. I just added the i5-6500 along with the MSI B150M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard to my shopping cart (With the bundle, I get an additional $30 off). My son will love the strips. If I manage not to mess anything up, the system may give the xmas tree a run for the money...

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely good. lol

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking about the build again this morning, would there be any reason to go with the 6600K instead ( and using a Z motherboard)? I do want this build to last for a few years. Thanks!

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. We're actually at Micro Center right now. They have the Asus z170-AR version of the motherboard . Decisions decisions

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube