add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Warman13579

37 months ago

I am currently trying to replace my laptop with a better gaming computer. My budget is around $700. I expect to be playing common games such as Overwatch, Hitman (comes with the rx 470), skyrim, CS GO, etc.

My first build

The parts with a custom price are from microcenter. The motherboard is $13 because of a rebate and bundle.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I have to disappoint you but this build isn't something I would be happy with. Let's see what the problems are:

• Will you overclock? Because the CPU and CPU cooler support it, but the motherboard and RAM do not.
  • The recommended PSU for that GPU is 500W (see the manufacturer's specification). Yet you have a 400 W PSU.
  • What's with the after market thermal paste? The CPU cooler comes with its own thermal paste.
  • You want to play CS:GO with WiFi? You will have more lag and package loss than you would have with cable connection. I would rally recommend it.
  • Why do you think you need an optical drive? You can install the OS from a USB stick instead...

Assuming you want overclocking options, I would go with this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $180.00
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.00 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card $170.00
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $38.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $85.68 @ My Choice Software
Other Neighbor's monitor $15.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $838.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 08:07 EST-0500
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 37 months ago
  • 2 points

That definitely looks better than your original build, but I wouldn't use a Builder Series PSU from Corsair, as that's a budget PSU not for overclockers (what you mean to do with your build, right?) Get a CXM or CSM at least, or rather an RMX series of the Corsair PSUs. It's a good brand, but they range from budget to high end and your choice falls into the budget category.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I upgraded to a Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply for $10 more

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Good decision. ;)

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Go with shakaron's build, his is much better overall, except try to find a xfx or sapphire cooler (non-blower) instead of the gigabyte card, their AMD coolers this generation are quite bad. Personally i'd go with [this] (http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FgBrxr/xfx-radeon-rx-470-4gb-triple-x-video-card-rx-470p436bm) card over the gigabyte

• 37 months ago
  • -1 points

Ewwww a Radeon 470 lmao why not go with a 1060 that's the same price?

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Let's see, the cheapest GTX 1060 is still $14 more than the rx 470 and for one with a good cooler, it's around $30, so while it is the better card, it is hardly the same price

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube