add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st time build. Something to improve?

polkmn

37 months ago

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GvY84C

CPU : Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard : MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Rams : G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Hard drive : Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU : Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Mini Video Card

Case : Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply : EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor : Acer GN246HL 24.0" 144Hz Monitor

Around C$1500. Since it's my first time to build, I am not sure if something's are missing or it won't work because of compatibility. I don't think that I will need overclocking but since i7-6700k and i7-6700 have same prices, I think it doesn't really matter. Tell me if there is something to improve or something to advise!!

Thank you so much :)

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are planning on doing a large overclock, id use 240 or 280 aio loop to bet the best cooling, but for a small overclock, the 212. Will be fine

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want suggestions, just reply and ill help you

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Well, I don't need much overclock so for cooling I thought it could be okay just wondering about Motherboard (I am not sure the difference between Z170A or Z170) and rams. I want to keep this computer for at least 5 years that's why I try to buy as best as I can but my main purpose will be a computer and study for software engineering

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Well further into the future, you are going to want to put a higher overclock onto the cpu so that it's up to par, but the mobo looks to be fine, id get the same for some overclocking, but I don't know how far you are going to get with it.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Decent build overall, however I recommend a couple of changes:

1. CPU: Depending on what you are aiming for (gaming/editing), you could save money by going with an i5 6600k. It performs equally well in most games and is considerably cheaper.
  2. Cooling; While the Evo is a solid choice, there are other cooler like the Cryorig H7 that are smaller and perform better at a similar price.
  3. SSD: While the Samsung is a great choice, it is usually 10%-20% more expensive than other SSDs with little advantage in gaming. Other great options are: OCZ Trion 150 and the Crucial MX300-series. Both are cheaper and also reliable.
  4. GPU: While the 1060 3GB is a good GPU, it is considerably slower than the 6GB-version. I would try to free up cash for that, or go with the rx480 4GB instead.
  5. PSU: Also a solid choice, but inferior to the G2-series from EVGA as well as a number of other, similarly priced PSU from SeaSonic, Antec and Flowmaster. Also, 650W is more than you need. 500W-550W is more than enough for your build.
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for detailed suggestion! For CPU, I wanted to keep my computer for a long time at least for 5 years that's why I chose 6700K. however, as you say, my aiming will be a game and study/project for software engineering. I was thinking to buy any cheap cooler since I think that I won't use much overclocking but I will reconsider on it as well. For SSD, I know there's a various cheap one but I just feel like Samsung is the best one but as you mention, i'll check on it too! For GPU, I am kinda not sure about AMD GPU. maybe I have some bias on it so that's why I dont choose them :( For PSU, I saw a guide that I may need 650 W if I run with 6700K and GTX 1060 in the same time but maybe that article was probably wrong.

Thank you for your suggestion sincerely! I will reconsider for my build and change a bit as well :)

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I hate budgets..

i5-6600k

FUMA CPU Cooler

Corsair LPX low profile Ram

Corsair RMx Power Supply

MSI GTX 1060 6G

Corsair 780T or Fractal Design Define R5

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube