add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building my first PC for web browsing and basic use

Wildfan99

36 months ago

Hi - does anyone have a second to view my part list. I have a few parts purchased but need thoughts on the rest of the list? Anything else that is a must have? I plan to use the PC to view video (nhl.tv) as well as browse the internet and work in spreadsheets. Please let me know thoughts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $170.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard *Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $41.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $27.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $16.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $83.89 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $19.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $535.81
Mail-in rebates -$75.00
Total $460.81
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 11:25 EST-0500

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Use 2 sticks of 4GB and Hynix SSD.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

The purchase of the 6600k was probably a bad idea for basic use, but it's whatever. If you have the 6600k you will want to get a Z-170 motherboard.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Why would I want a z-170 MB? I already purchased the one above for $11, just realized i didnt have that marked. Would i have issues with the motherboard I already purchased?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

No, but it would be a waste of the 6600k'a potential. It is a CPU specifically designed to be overclocked and that's where it gets its most major advantage. The H110M can't overclock, only Z-170's can. So, you wouldn't have any problems but it would be a shame to not take full advantage of your powerful CPU. The other issue with H-110 motherboards is that they only have 2 ram slots, so you can only put in 2 sticks. This means you probably shouldn't put in 2x4 ram as that would take up all of your slots.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I purchased the two at microcenter combo deal. How do the other parts I selected look?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I would change to a more reliable PSU, for instance CXM or B2/GQ/G2. I would also switch the cooler to a Cryorig m9i.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Does wattage look ok? 450w?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

If all you are going to be doing is basic web browsing and spreadsheet viewing, you don't need a really powerful CPU. However since you already purchased it, I can't say much. If you hadn't gone for a "K" CPU, an aftermarket cooler would not be necessary. For working in spreadsheets and also using integrated graphics, 16GB of memory may be more effective. With your selected motherboard, a 2x8GB kit should work fine in dual-channel mode. For the SSD, personally, I would get a Samsung SSD because of their Samsung Magician software. Firmware upgrades are easy and you can optimize the drive to your needs. I do not see the need for a gaming keyboard and mouse in your situation. A simpler, cheaper keyboard and mouse may be more cost effective. If you are going to be using this computer only for basic tasks forever, then your current motherboard is fine. However, if you want to do gaming or media production in the future, a Z170 motherboard may come in handy with more PCIe lanes and other functionality.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube