add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions for a first time builder.

HarlaquinFa11

36 months ago

Hello PPP community,

I've recently gathered the will to build my own gaming computer, I've just started college on becoming a electrical engineer, so I argued with the lady, that building a computer would be instrumental to the field I desire to be in and got the O.K.  Even tho I was wanting to build one regardless as I have been gaming on console's the past 15+ years. The only real PC gaming experience I ever had was when I begged my grandmother to upgrade her old Dell so I could play Oblivion on min specs. Enough with the life story, my budget is sitting around $2000 +/- $200 so I have some wiggle room with this, I'm not super satisfied with my selection; and am asking your opinion on everything, case, monitor, keyboard, graphics card etc.... I was originally going with a GTX 1080 and the Phanteks evolv atx, but had to cut costs to stay around my budget, and I'm still over.

Al so I'm getting a compatibility error, this error has been flagged on my last few MB selections.
"The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6Gb/s ports are disabled"

Thank you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xrF3m8

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Very good except that you won't be getting any extra speed from the M.2 SSD. M.2 when shares a channel with SATA it slows down. You should just get a SATA SSD.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Noted, I now should be able to save a few $$$ whilst increasing my over all memory. Thank you!

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

First off, I'm not sure if you need all those extra case fans. I am not familiar with your case choice so they may or may not be necessary. More fans are not always the best. Also, is a 1.1TB SSD really necessary? You may be able to cut down costs with a larger capacity (e.g. 3TB) mechanical hard drive. The M.2 warning is just saying that if you use an M.2 drive (which you are), then some of the SATA ports will not be able to be used. Your selected motherboard has 4 SATA ports so you after the M.2 drive, you can add 2 more SATA drives. Seeing that you have 3000MHz memory, I am going to assume you are going to overclock that.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

As there really is no proper topside ventilation on the case it self, except for a small area where according to reviews I could mount a single 140mm case fan. But I'm getting conflicting reports on that. I see that the fans I've chosen are very popular and get really decent reviews all over PPP as this case would allow me to install 4x120mm fans; which would match the unnecessary theme I'm trying to achieve, I really don't trust the stock fans provided with this case considering it's price. Good point, I'll look around for a good HDD, should I consider a Hybrid? I would like the fastest performance possible with my budget. I see, really simple to understand that now as you said. Yes, yes I am, that's my goal. Thank you for your opinion, much appreciated.

Actually I failed to mention, regarding my case fans. With my selected Liquid CPU cooler, does mounting that onto the case replace the need for the would be 2x120mm case fans I've selected?

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

I would not recommend hybrid drives as they have to learn which files to put on the "fast" side and which files to put on the "slow" side, and there is not a lot of performance gain. Your 950 PRO NVMe drive should deliver plenty of speed in the M.2 bus. If you need more fast storage then a larger 950 PRO or a second smaller SSD (maybe the 850 EVO 250GB) would be fine. For mass storage, I would go with the Seagate Barracuda drives. The Western Digital drives do not have a clip for the SATA cable so there is a chance that the cable could fall out. Currently, the Seagate 3TB drives are the best deal in terms of storage and pricing. For the case, maybe you should invest in a higher quality case and not buy the extra fans. You already have two fans from the liquid cooler so maybe a case with 3 included 140mm fans would work for you.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Noted, I'm thinking I'll also replace the 950 PRO with a Samsung 850 EVO, with a quality HDD as you have mentioned, I should easily be able to invest in a more premium quality case, I really like the NZXT H440 but, being that guy , I kinda want something not a lot of people build on. I should get over that. Suggestions? The Zalman Z9 Neo looks to be a good choice, with similarities as far as aesthetics to the H440 at a lower price tag. Thanks again for your help, your saving me money. I'll revise my list shortly for any possible future critiques.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

The 950 PRO is extremely fast in numbers, but there is not much actual performance gain unless you are continuously reading and writing large files. If you wish to save money, the 850 EVO would still be a plenty fast option as your boot drive (definitely faster than a mechanical hard drive). As for the case, I am not familiar with too many cases. All I can say is don't go overboard and don't cheap out. The really cheap cases tend to be manufactured poorly (e.g. flimsy metal, sharp corners, poor design, etc.). I would go for at least $60 MSRP. Again, it all depends on what is right for you.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

That means your top 120 slots are going to be occupied.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

There is room for improvement. Will work the list when time permits..

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $118.61 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $129.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $67.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $239.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $429.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case $139.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $249.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $39.99 @ Newegg
Headphones Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset $68.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30W 2.1ch Speakers $42.95 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2174.44
Mail-in rebates -$105.00
Total $2069.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-24 00:24 EST-0500
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not the most qualified to offer recommendations, however I noticed your RAM selection. I was able to find you faster RAM for cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $118.61 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $199.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $164.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $239.99 @ B&H
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $429.99 @ Jet
Case Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $46.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $83.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan $17.88 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans $24.88 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans $24.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor $249.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $39.99 @ Newegg
Headphones Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset $68.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30W 2.1ch Speakers $47.94 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2258.97
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $2198.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 16:36 EST-0500
  • 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for your valuable input! I've reworked my list, I'm actually really happy with it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LtjrYr

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube